Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Thank you Jackie, I knew you'd understand. It's just so hard to reconcile brain and heart when he appears to be as fit as a flea.
It's heartbreaking, the same with Bandit apart from the limp, he was as fit as always, eating wanting his walk, the trouble is the pain gets worse. The meds work less , then you have to decide at what point to end it....not letting him wake up, is a blessing for you both....

Heartbreaking. Xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2013, 12:37 PM
So sorry. Having a big boy myself who lives life to the full this too would be my decision if the worst was found.
I have everything crossed it isn't. Will be thinking of you both tomorrow.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I also agree with your decision, I watched a Belgian Shep near to me go through all this and she went for amputation and dragged him through nearly a year of increasing debility, finally lugging him everywhere with a sling on, anything but make that decision which is hard and totally heartbreaking but totally right for your boy.
Massive hugs and cuddles to you.
Meg
Supervisor

20-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi Shirley, I am really sorry to hear about Syd
I will be thinking of you both on Friday..xx
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:17 PM
My heart really goes out to you as I went through all this two years ago with my Milo (not sure if you remember?).

Milo was nearly ten and a fit agility dog - in fact he came home with a rosette three days before he went lame. Like you, I thought it was a sprain and rested him for a a week but, by then, he could hardly walk on the affected leg - (left front). The vet kept him in for x-rays and gave me the devastating news when I went back to pick him up. He was keen to go down the amputation and chemo route as Milo was so fit and, to be honest, I could no more have put him down then than fly. He adjusted very well to three legs and sailed through the chemo and the vet hoped he would have another 12-18 months before the cancer spread to his lungs.

I then noticed he was lame on a hind leg and, sadly, further x-rays found more tumours in his pelvis and hind leg. Unfortunately, the vet hadn't thought to x-ray the rear end because normally the cancer metastasizes to the lungs or liver. I was sent home with three lots of painkillers for him but, realising I was just delaying the inevitable, had him pts about ten days later.

I don't regret putting him through it all but can't honestly say I would do it again - I don't think you can generalise about such things. All I know is that you have to make the best decision for you and your dog and one that you can live with. I will be thinking of you and your lovely Syd. Please feel free to pm me if you would like to.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Amputation was discussed and it might buy him a couple of months. It's his front leg, the weight bearing legs and Syd is a big boy at 46kgs. I know lots of dogs cope well with amputation but I really think he would be as miserable as hell. The cancer although he has no symptoms apart from the swollen leg would have already spread. Even amputation combined with chemo would only buy him around 9 months maximum. No I don't think you're being insensitive at all, I'm sure others in the same situation would cling on to any hope of extending life. I can't do that. I don't expect everyone to understand or empathise. We all have to do what we believe is best.
Had a similar thing with my first dog, Tiffin. It was hard but actually it was the best thing for both Tiffin and me. Prolonging her life just to see her die in pain would have been equally hard and would have left me with guilt as I know it could have been prevented. Good luck. Hope everyone's wrong.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:41 PM
HUGS, I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

If you can let me have a photo of were the lump is, it can be an old photo as long as I know were the lump is, I will send Reiki direct to the lump, it won't cure it but may make things easier for him.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:49 PM
So sorry to read his about Syd. Sending {{{vibes}}} that the news is negative tomorrow. If it is positive I do think you're doing he right thing.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
My heart really goes out to you as I went through all this two years ago with my Milo (not sure if you remember?).

Milo was nearly ten and a fit agility dog - in fact he came home with a rosette three days before he went lame. Like you, I thought it was a sprain and rested him for a a week but, by then, he could hardly walk on the affected leg - (left front). The vet kept him in for x-rays and gave me the devastating news when I went back to pick him up. He was keen to go down the amputation and chemo route as Milo was so fit and, to be honest, I could no more have put him down then than fly. He adjusted very well to three legs and sailed through the chemo and the vet hoped he would have another 12-18 months before the cancer spread to his lungs.

I then noticed he was lame on a hind leg and, sadly, further x-rays found more tumours in his pelvis and hind leg. Unfortunately, the vet hadn't thought to x-ray the rear end because normally the cancer metastasizes to the lungs or liver. I was sent home with three lots of painkillers for him but, realising I was just delaying the inevitable, had him pts about ten days later.

I don't regret putting him through it all but can't honestly say I would do it again - I don't think you can generalise about such things. All I know is that you have to make the best decision for you and your dog and one that you can live with. I will be thinking of you and your lovely Syd. Please feel free to pm me if you would like to.
Thank you, it was reading stories like yours and Jackbox with Bandit that made me come to the decision I have.

Thanks to every one of you for the support I really do appreciate it. x
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I am so very sorry to read this. I really do feel for you and understand how very hard it is to make this sort of decision. It is so, so hard especially whilst Syd appears as happy as usual...my hugs to you and a big kiss for your beautiful boy
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »