View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:03 AM
But what is intrinsically WRONG with mega dairies? The size or the PERCEIVED benefits (to cows) of them being outside?

There are lots of cows (sheep) which have terrible foot conditions when not cared for properly outside.

It is not the method in which animals are kept but the level of care they receive.

Farmers (who after all have the most experience in working with cows) actually don't (in general) have huge antipathy to such operations.

Differences do not necessarily mean those changes are WORSE (or better) for animals, just different.

ETA actualy the parrot MAY gain something by being taught English as it has more 1:1 interaction which many parrots do not have and which thus lead to over grooming.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately, the mega dairies are still likely to open and exist whether research is done or not because it is a profit driven industry.

However, I'd rather think that conditions within that dairy were based on scientific research that allows the animals as much of a degree of comfort as possible in such artificial conditions than not because of blind ignorance.

I think we are all justifiably appalled by the conditions of battery hens? Little or no thought seems to have gone into such housing prior to them being brought into being so improvements are being made in retrospect. If there are going to be these places, it's better to think that the animals have been given at least as much consideration as the possible profit at the end of it and that can only happen if we know as much as possible about the animal and its needs beforehand.

Of course, many of us would prefer they didn't exist at all, but they do and, as they do, I'd like to believe that research is being used to at least ensure that the animals have as much degree of comfort (both physical and psychological) as possible.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Oh behave i was illustrating my initial point with an amusing example, the paragraph below it is talking about behavhioural/learning studies in chimps/dolphins/octupi/rats/fruit flies/anything with a nervous system
Yes I know you were, my apologies.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7