View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:48 PM
theres a big difference between housetraining a puppy or a young animal of any type and housetraining an adult dog. Neam came to me at 3 years old from a working gundog kennel, she has been here 4 years at Christmas, she will still if not crated pee and poo indoors, she will also not think twice about running straight through it , you may love a dog that lives outside, but when we talk about rehoming we talk about rehoming to a home environment, again there just aren't the homes with kennels, we have had dogs to rehome that need to be in a kennel, and they have waited months, even years in some cases for that home to come along
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
theres a big difference between housetraining a puppy or a young animal of any type and housetraining an adult dog. Neam came to me at 3 years old from a working gundog kennel, she has been here 4 years at Christmas, she will still if not crated pee and poo indoors, she will also not think twice about running straight through it , you may love a dog that lives outside, but when we talk about rehoming we talk about rehoming to a home environment, again there just aren't the homes with kennels, we have had dogs to rehome that need to be in a kennel, and they have waited months, even years in some cases for that home to come along
I can quote you examples of adult dogs too. Although bearing in mind I am talking about a pup whose mother was 100% wolf, and father a wolfcross, I think my example of how easy he was to housetrain after a life of 9 weeks spent below ground in a den, having virtually no human contact, is a pretty good example of how relatively easy it is to housetrain ALL and ANY dog.

We adopted the village collie many years ago. he had lived rough all his life, didn't want to sleep indoors with his owners, and he lived outside 24/7. One day he decided he wanted to live with us though, and in he marched and settled down on the floor in front of our sofa - even had the temerity to growl at Hal, the resident dog!!

he had never been housetrained, and he was old - well into double figures. he was a collie BTW, a gorgeous wiley old buzzard. He was very stiff in his back legs, but otherwise fit and well. I cannot ever remember him weeing or pooing in the house, and yet he had never been house-trained.

He is just one example. My labrador GSP cross, Jakey, she was not house-trained either. We rescued her at about the age of 7 or 8.

Our bloodhound came from a pack of working bloodhounds in Yorkshire - admittedly he was a puppy when he collected him, but he came from a pack of working bloodhounds who were housed in stables, none of them were house pets, they were working hounds. Kim must have been about 12 weeks, possibly older, when we collected him and we had very few accidents with him in the house. All my parents' dogs slept outside at night in a kennel, but were housed during the day.

I don't "buy" what you're saying i'm afraid - but thanx for answering
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 02:56 PM
[
QUOTE=Gnasher;2630885]

We had a 9 week old F1 wolfcross living in our house for a few weeks. He had only ever lived outside with his wolf mum in a den in their enclosure. Within 3 days he was housetrained. He slept with Tai in our bedroom, no problem.

If you can housetrain a wolf, then you can certainly housetrain a foxhound I would think!
[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Merlin was house trained in no time at all, apart from a few hiccups in those early days, hes never been an ounce of bother!

But the hunting fraternity like us to believe its 'kinder' to destroy hounds... they assume people will think it acceptable then Its just more lies & propaganda, no different from their claim that they hunt to control foxes

They take people for fools!

by the way, wolves are my favourite animals, their social structure is fascinating & they are vital for a healthy eco system.
Yet age old prejudices havent changed & people still demonise & persecute them
Its a travesty that in the US,Finland,Sweden & Canada everwhere! they are being obliterated! & its by people with the same mentality as the pro hunt brigade over here.

Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Maybe you missed this link Lizzy? http://foxhoundwelfareuk.jimdo.com/s...he-lucky-ones/

My Sibe wasnt a puppy he was 3 & a half, dogs are smart, they soon learn no matter how old they are

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
[
Exactly!

Merlin was house trained in no time at all, apart from a few hiccups in those early days, hes never been an ounce of bother!

But the hunting fraternity like us to believe its 'kinder' to destroy hounds... they assume people will think it acceptable then Its just more lies & propaganda, no different from their claim that they hunt to control foxes

They take people for fools!

by the way, wolves are my favourite animals, their social structure is fascinating & they are vital for a healthy eco system.
Yet age old prejudices havent changed & people still demonise & persecute them
Its a travesty that in the US,Finland,Sweden & Canada everwhere! they are being obliterated! & its by people with the same mentality as the pro hunt brigade over here.

.[/QUOTE]

Got a phone call from my daughter this morning at work to say that for her father's birthday present (24th December) she has adopted a wolf for him from the UK Wolf Trust. We are members, and have visited, but I never thought about adopting a wolf. it is a fabulous idea and he will love it.

It is so sad that these beautiful creatures are still persecuted. It would be wonderful to see them re-introduced to the wilderness areas here in the UK, if there are any suitable areas left, which I doubt. i know there was an experiment in Scotland but the wolves looked to me as if they were "hybrids", not pure wolves.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 03:16 PM
so my springer's are thick then!! never mind i know better i knew i should have left this thread well alone, you have your experiences and opinions i have mine, they are never about to meet so rather than go round in circles we'll leave it there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I know a few people who have taken on ex foxhounds for one reason or another, one a puppy that lost this leg whilst with his puppy walkers, the others for different reasons.

Every single one of them will tell you what a nightmare it is, they all live in rural homes, and ALL but one lives in a kennel.

They have to be watched 100% of the time as their instinct is so strong, they will simply go off.

The percentage of foxhounds being successfully re homed into pet homes is so low, its simply not an option.

Anyone who thinks you can rehome ALL retired or failed foxhounds into pet homes, seriously misunderstands the breed.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 04:32 PM
so my springer's are thick then!! never mind i know better i knew i should have left this thread well alone, you have your experiences and opinions i have mine, they are never about to meet so rather than go round in circles we'll leave it there.
so because youve had a bad experience house training a dog, you'd write off up to 7000 hounds annually Its a good job people who rehabilitate & rehome street dogs from abroad dont feel the same.

[
QUOTE=Jackbox;2630954]I know a few people who have taken on ex foxhounds for one reason or another, one a puppy that lost this leg whilst with his puppy walkers, the others for different reasons.

Every single one of them will tell you what a nightmare it is, they all live in rural homes, and ALL but one lives in a kennel.

They have to be watched 100% of the time as their instinct is so strong, they will simply go off.

The percentage of foxhounds being successfully re homed into pet homes is so low, its simply not an option.

Anyone who thinks you can rehome ALL retired or failed foxhounds into pet homes, seriously misunderstands the breed.[/QUOTE

& you think Siberian Huskies are any different??

theres a link above showing successfully rehomed hounds you think it better they'd been shot??

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 05:11 PM
I never said your springers were thick!! All dogs are different - some learn quicker than others. i was just trying to say that you can never say it would be impossible to house train any dog, even a fox hound!

o dear, i didn't mean to upset you
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I know a few people who have taken on ex foxhounds for one reason or another, one a puppy that lost this leg whilst with his puppy walkers, the others for different reasons.

Anyone who thinks you can rehome ALL retired or failed foxhounds into pet homes, seriously misunderstands the breed.
I would never say ALL just I would never say NEVER when talking about dogs, all dogs. There are always exceptions just as there are rules.
Page 19 of 21 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 >