Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Shooting

All this week, so far, from the comfort of my home, I have been disturbed by shooting noises. The 'shooters' are obviously out shooting innocent animals and I have no option but to hear it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Try living on a grouse moor!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:08 PM
The sound of shots to me, means dinner!

OH shoots rabbits, pidgeon, and can bring pheasant a partridge home, and we cook it for our tea.

It might just be that they are controlling numbers?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I think they do it for fun, TBH. One of my work friends used to do it, I shall ask him later about it. Not sure if I mentioned on a different thread about the two Buzzards that got shot around here , for the sake of it. I can understand if it is for food, but not when it is for fun.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:19 PM
OH's bosses sell rabbit and pidgeon shooting, so it's fun for the people coming to shoot, but beneficial to OH and the other keepers, as the 'guns' are often placed near newly planted game crops, so are helping with the vermin control. As far as I am aware, the guns get the option to take what they are shooting with them, or it goes to the game dealer, so ends up as food anyway.

Pidgeon is by far one of my favourite meats, it is lovely in a stew, made in my slow cooker!!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
OH's bosses sell rabbit and pidgeon shooting, so it's fun for the people coming to shoot, but beneficial to OH and the other keepers, as the 'guns' are often placed near newly planted game crops, so are helping with the vermin control. As far as I am aware, the guns get the option to take what they are shooting with them, or it goes to the game dealer, so ends up as food anyway.

Pidgeon is by far one of my favourite meats, it is lovely in a stew, made in my slow cooker!!
I can accept that. But when birds are reared to be killed in the name of 'sport', I really find that bad taste. Ref the pidgeon stew, I have approx 4 big fat Wood Pidgeons that visit my garden daily and no you cannot have them for your pot!!lol xxx
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I can accept that. But when birds are reared to be killed in the name of 'sport', I really find that bad taste. Ref the pidgeon stew, I have approx 4 big fat Wood Pidgeons that visit my garden daily and no you cannot have them for your pot!!lol xxx
I understand that people don't agree with it, sometimes, when I'm stood at the top of a hill, freezing cold, I do wonder why I enjoy being out on shoot days!

I never used to like shooting as much as I do now, but then I suppose, I'm surrounded by it everyday, it's just what I do!
(And on the plus side, look at all the dogs I get to have!! Without OH's job, I probably wouldn't have any of them!!!!)

xxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2010, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=werewolf;1962521]I can accept that. But when birds are reared to be killed in the name of 'sport', I really find that bad taste. Ref the pidgeon stew, I have approx 4 big fat Wood Pidgeons that visit my garden daily and no you cannot have them for your pot!!lol xxx[/QUOTE]

She can have the ones in my garden, they are a bl**dy menace..built a nest on my chimney stack , and the whole lot fell down my chimney
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 07:19 PM
aw thats awful, must be hard to listen to