Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 05:39 PM

The Bear Family n Me

Just wondered if anyone has been watching n any thoughts about what shown? I have mixed feelings about the cub, Hope(don't really know why), should nature take it's course or folk intervene(sp?) to learn more about in order to help them and others species survive?
Think the bears are just beautiful, many thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes I have been watching it, the first episode demonstrated what dog owners/handlers often fail to do, ie what happens when you are paying attention to the cute little cub on your left, when really you should be watching the big momma on your right!

Classic animal handling mistake..............

till, the lesson he learned was probabaly more useful then a thousand words!

If lini had not interfered we would miss a potential learning opportunity, ie if and for how long small cubs can survive without a parent.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes, i was quite upset/angered even when saw the trailer for tonights final episode when a person was saying they wanted to hunt and kill a bear 'the bigger the better?' What is he on? Another ignorant, small minded trophy hunter! Big gun...small .....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi H I have really enjoyed this programme. The part of Minnesota featured is such a breathtakingly beautiful place and the Bears and other wildlife are fascinating.

I have to say as Gordon is a seasoned wildlife photographer I was amazed to see him take such liberties with the bears, even the most inexperienced animal watcher would know not to put themselves between a mother and her cub.

I appreciate intervention of any kind between the observer and the observed is frowned on by the majority of the research community and it can be argued that even minor intervention can influence behaviour, but I could not have walked away and left that cub to starve.

I am looking forward to the last episode, just hope it isn't too sad...
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I haven't seen all of this but I have loved what I have seen. Little Hope is such a sweetie, I really hope she makes it.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I appreciate intervention of any kind between the observer and the observed is frowned on by the majority of the research community and it can be argued that even minor intervention can influence behaviour, but I could not have walked away and left that cub to starve.
I agree entirely with this, there is no way that I could have walked away. Over Christmas I watched 'there's a hippo in my house' where a South African park ranger had an orphaned baby hippo wash up along the river by his house. He said he knew that he should have just left her but he couldn't, he just had to intervene...
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Don't think i could've have left the cub to starve either. Did you see the last episode? I wish folk wouldn't hunt when there is no valid reason whatsoever, they don't need to for food or clothing, it's just barbaric A really good programme though, hope they make another one later with updates on the bears
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
( A really good programme though, hope they make another one later with updates on the bears
Yes I'd love to see that! I did watch the last one - with my heart in my mouth I suppose some people are hunting to eat - such as the hunting family who made the bear burger. But I think that some of them are just sick freaks who get a kick out of killing something...
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
This was a lovely series wasn't it? I watched an hour long programme of Lynne Rogers last year and that was very educating and moving. The man's a genius and loves his bears. Watching this series I didn't learn much more, except for beautiful little Hope of course. I wasn't sure if they'd denned or not so went to Lynne's site and there's a live web cam there showing Lily sometimes with her head just out of the den, eyes closing, then open again I suppose Hope is behind her in there. Just going back to have another look now.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Yes I'd love to see that! I did watch the last one - with my heart in my mouth I suppose some people are hunting to eat - such as the hunting family who made the bear burger. But I think that some of them are just sick freaks who get a kick out of killing something...
I love meat but don't know if could eat a bear burger
Originally Posted by maryl View Post
This was a lovely series wasn't it? I watched an hour long programme of Lynne Rogers last year and that was very educating and moving. The man's a genius and loves his bears. Watching this series I didn't learn much more, except for beautiful little Hope of course. I wasn't sure if they'd denned or not so went to Lynne's site and there's a live web cam there showing Lily sometimes with her head just out of the den, eyes closing, then open again I suppose Hope is behind her in there. Just going back to have another look now.

Was the programme 'The Man who lives with bears' i did wonder if was the same chap(couldn't remember) will have a look for his website, didn't know about it so thanks for info

Am glad folk enjoyed the programme too
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Was the programme 'The Man who lives with bears' i did wonder if was the same chap(couldn't remember) will have a look for his website, didn't know about it so thanks for info

Am glad folk enjoyed the programme too [/QUOTE]

Yes, I think that's what it was called. Just had another peek at Lily and she seems to be snuggling down now.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »