View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:40 PM

1 minute, 30 second stay and still going...

We have to be able to complete a 1 minute stay for our bronze award, someone on here suggested smearing peanut butter on the fridge as a distraction but today, while making my lunch, Takara completed a 1 minute 30 seconds stay while I was cooking bacon

That's pretty impressive for a stomach on legs She would've kept going but I had to see to the bacon and so I broke it off.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Yay!! Go Takara!

I was so pleased when Max did this... he is so hyperactive he can rarely sit for more than 30 seconds.

Do you do a Sit or a Down (or a Stand) for the stay?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Yipee thats great well done the both of you :smt038 :smt038
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:48 PM
This particular one was a sit, but we do different stays and always put her back in the right position if she moves.

She usually does a stand stay if I need her to stop and wait for me in the park, or if I'm showing her.

Last night I practised stepping over her whilst in a down stay, which she hates but is doing it much better now and I also managed to leave the room for at least 30 seconds, though I didn't count, while she was in a down.

I try and vary her position depending on her mood. If she's tired, she'll move from a sit to a down, so I put her straight in a down. If she's excitable, I put her in a sit because otherwise she'll get up from a down, but won't stand up from a sit.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by lizdll View Post
Yipee thats great well done the both of you :smt038 :smt038
Thankyou I'm really pleased with her and have BIG news with regards to her training but I'm waiting before I post...
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Well done Lottie... going good eh
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Oh Lottie I'll bet you are so proud of her and of yourself. Well done. xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks berger,

Well I am going to dig out my stop watch and see how long we can do a stay for because I know she can do longer than that, but a minute seems like such a long time, apparently it's not lol

I'm incredibly proud of her - and can't wait to give you all more info on the extra training she'll be doing... but you have to wait!

I'm not really proud of me because she is incredibly easy to train if it's done consistently, yes she's mad and a bit too clever, but I'm very lucky I got such an intelligent dog!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Do you have any tips for this?

Working on it with Saffy - at the moment, with the lead on, put her in the down, and just stand on the lead, and been working on slowly releasing the lead. Once my foot is off the lead, i think the longest we have had is 20 seconds .

How do we get more? If we praise her with no pressure on the lead (i.e nothing stopping her getting up) she will eat the food in the down position, then jump up! So frustrating!!!

ANy tips on praising her, without getting her excited so she stands up?!
Sunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Well done Lottie and Takara if she can stay while you cook bacon, she's a fantastic dog!

Saffy have had this problem with my boxer Bunter. Teach a release word to let her know when the stay is done - I use Finish. Keep praise for in the stay position - it stops after finish or if they move. I used a clicker and made him wait just a wee bit longer for the food each time eg 2 clicks and this helped him prolong his stay.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >