View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Though you are probably right in some cases Patch this one was definitaly not wanting a replacement, I dont want to give the full advert as there were many similar and I dont think these people need anymore publicity, the site is well known for bad dog adverts and even has a yellow paper, hope that gives you a clue I every now and then check on there for dogs free to good home so i can rescue them and pass them on to good owners, have saved two already, a BC now called wolfy who lives with my cousins MIL, if that makes sense and a X who lives with a neighbour now.

ETA: in fact I picked Wolfy up from a pub! Thats how bad some of these owners are!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Will be choosing them from a catalogue next
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird
Will be choosing them from a catalogue next
You already can in USA, I get bored alot obviously and browse the net you wouldn't believe some of the things I have seen, there are websites and breeders willing to ship their pups anywhere in the world (for a fee) You can purchase pups online with paypal and all sorts
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
Though you are probably right in some cases Patch this one was definitaly not wanting a replacement, I dont want to give the full advert as there were many similar and I dont think these people need anymore publicity, the site is well known for bad dog adverts and even has a yellow paper, hope that gives you a clue I every now and then check on there for dogs free to good home so i can rescue them and pass them on to good owners, have saved two already, a BC now called wolfy who lives with my cousins MIL, if that makes sense and a X who lives with a neighbour now.

ETA: in fact I picked Wolfy up from a pub! Thats how bad some of these owners are!

Ah - I was just going by the bit you did tell us, and yep the hint you gave does change the slant, sadly

Thankfully, you and others like you do scour these ads and rescue as many as possible. It makes me nauseous that advertising animals for sale or free is allowed on the net, its utterly sickening :smt022 :smt022 :smt022
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Zuba I couldn't agree with you more, they are totally the wrong mind-set to even contemplate a rescue dog. Hmm, I wonder if they were having a child they would state the sex, hair colour, eye colour preferred if they could?

Originally Posted by novavizz
Sometimes people are even more specific about the dogs markings, wanting a dog with flashy white markings and white only so far up the forelegs. I'm afraid I tell them to go to a breeder and get exactly what they want, they are not good enough for one of my rescue dogs.
Well said, I agree they certainly are not good enough to own a special rescue dog. People never cease to amaze me how they think - do they see Rescue Centres like Bargain Basement stores where they can save money and pre-order what they want? Grrrr makes me sooo mad
depurple1
New Member!
Female 

30-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I can understand why people would like dogs to look a certain way, but I also think they need to be prepared to be a little bit flexible, especially if they are looking for an uncommon breed.

When I was looking for a second dog, I knew exactly what I wanted, and this included looks to some extent. I can only have 2 dogs, so I was prepared to wait as long as it took for my "perfect" dog to come along.

I had specified that I wanted an energetic 1-2 year old medium sized crossbreed, with GSD and collie in it, and I would like big sticky-up ears.

Knowing that I won't be able to get another dog for quite a few years meant that I was reluctant to compromise on any of my criteria. Eventually I found my dog though, and she is far from being a fashion accessory.

I don't know the circumstances of the request in this post, so I can't comment on that, but if a potential owner knows exactly what they want and is prepared to wait for this then I can't see a problem with it. Surely they should get some credit for wanting to rescue a dog rather than just going to a byb? Any reputable rescue would homecheck to check the dog was suitable before rehoming it anyway.
Cossack
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2006, 07:15 AM
The one thing that noone has mentioned is the horrible puppy farm trade. With the Husky blue eyes and specific colours mean that the cost of the puppy through these dreadful individuals can be as much as £1000, and it is not uncommon to see adverts for blue eyed whites at £750, and this without registration papers.
To this end breeders may be looking for a dog to breed from to give them the colours required.
Many of the Husky Club members like myself automatically keep an eye out and where possible discourage people from even visiting such people. I even managed to get one shut down as they were selling huskyxgsd but advertising as full husky. At eight months the dog was uncontrollable and had bitten the owner. Rehomed to a safe home who could deal with training and contol and reported breeder to trading standards.
In reality most genuine perspective owners state they want a colour or type due to loss of loved one etc in their advert.
Dogs have become a commodity like any other product, to my horror, and only if enough of us take a stand and try to do something about it will it change.
Noone wants to believe the worst but after 10 years I have seen too many cases that would make you just want to weep.
Well done to everyone who looks out for the interests of the animals.
reclaimingrebus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2006, 07:21 PM
but really, wanting a rescue in the "right colours" is not much different to picking over a litter of pups to get the "right colour" IMHO. why should the colour of a pup matter, when what should count is it's temperament, and possibly size and conformation.I chose my dogs for a variety of reasons, but not because of what they looked like. I know what I can offer them, and the type that would be happiest in the environment I can provide.Matching the sofa is not a criteria I would apply, either to a rescue dog or a pup.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2