View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vex
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2005, 05:33 PM

**Puppy Training** serious please read. Your opinions on trainer's methods?

Bit of a serious one, I have taken muse to puppy training at my local center.

Anyway, she’s been doing quite well. However I tend to think that the trainers pick on my dog.

Last week, muse and 3 other dogs were in the class. Muse did everything right. And I do mean everything. Infact I was so happy for her being so good! Sitting, waiting, down, waiting for treats etc.

Another dog came in and was the other side of the room, the dog gave my dog the evil eye, and the trainer spotted this and told the owner to get her dog looking at her. * They do this with food *

This other dog starts barking, so muse being a sbt and fearless not backing down gave some back. Then some how the teacher grabbed my pup by the neck and shouted no. Ok fine.. Then I did it because "that’s the way you're ment to do it...." then the owner and dog decide to sit 2 feet away from us and the barking starts again. My dog (a little pi**ed off) kicked off again and the 2nd trainer throw his keys down, just missing my dog and hitting my shoe, my g/f said to the 2nd trainer "if that had hit her, I wouldn’t of been happy" she said it twice because the guy is an idiot. And he went on to say. " Those dogs need to learn to behave, you must knock that attitude out of them at a young age"

So a few points:

Why wasn’t the other dog punished?
Is the "throwing" of keys the done thing?
Would I be out of order to voice when I see him next if he were to step out of line again, I would be forced to.

I’m just annoyed (when we left and I thought about it)
A friend of mine says that there training sounds horrid, and I tend to agree.

My dog is bloody amazing and very good, it just happens that some dogs she doesn’t like. I don’t get on with everyone in the world, so why should she.

The trainer and I fell out over something else, she said tell the dog to sit and lift the treat, I said she does it without. She said the test is if you turn round and say sit and she does it, that’s when the god is trained. Now my come back to that is. (Why would I turn round to ask my dog to sit, if I turned round and spoke to you, it would be considered rude.)

The trainers seem to be up themselves and the Sheep dog types and not used to training dogs like mine.. Views?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 05:57 PM
sorry to hear this vex.....no one but no one would do that to my dog and get away with it....I would find another training school ..good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi Vex glad to hear Muse is doing so well apart from the odd trainer. I can't really comment on the methods trainers use because I have never used one ,but I would not grab or allow anyone else to grab my dog unless it was an inch away from a fight. I know throwing keys can be used in certain circumstances as a distraction but not right near the dog . If you are not happy I would look for another trainer or continue on your own. Does your trainer belong to a recognised body like the apdt ?
http://www.apdt.co.uk/list_trainers.asp
Vex
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2005, 07:28 PM
im really not sure to be honest. thanks for that site.. what im looking for is a sbt group.. im told there used to be on in farnborough hampshire
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Vex. I had a similar experience some years ago when I was trying to train my Great Dane. The trainer (an ex-police dog trainer no less) said that I should punch my dog rather than hugging her (I was trying to reassure her as she was a tad nervous). I'm afraid I called him a tw*t, walked out, and never went back It put me off trainers for life, I'm sorry to say
Vex
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2005, 07:44 PM
just goes to show there are some cruel people out there
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 07:45 PM
I would be horrified if that happend to me good luck in finding a new trainer
Vex
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2005, 07:46 PM
well i will go again this week and see what happens, but if they touch her i will kick off.

lol dont know whats worse my temper or the dogs
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 07:49 PM
good for you .hey Vex you need to post more often....we don't hear from you much
Vex
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2005, 07:55 PM
i know i have been meaning to! Im out with muse alot and since changing my job muse and i just hang out at the night club and run around flyering and postering

I got her fake id so she gets in
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >