Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Not a happy walk

Was out with my dogs yesterday when Milly came across a small deer - she went COMPLETELY deaf and began to chase it, the poor little thing was so scared, screaming and squealing all the while. I couldn't get Milly to return and leave it and my other dog was so scared over all the noise and my shouting at Milly.

She did eventually come racing back (after a few minutes but it felt like a lot longer) but I wasn't quick enough to snag her collar and she shot off again. This time I couldn't see her anywhere, just heard the deer screaming and loads of crashing through the undergrowth. When Milly did come back to me her muzzle had some blood over it as well as down the front of her legs This time I managed to catch her and get her on a lead - I was so angry and upset with her, and didn't know how to deal with this We came straight home and she knew she'd done something that I wasn't happy about as she stayed well out of my way for some time.

There was nothing I could do about the deer, as having caught Milly I wanted to get her away from doing any more damage or causing any more stress to it. Plus I didn't think I'd be able to get anywhere near it after all that.

But does anyone have any ideas on what I should have done, or how I should treat this if, heaven forbid, it happens again. I'm really worried that she's turned into some sort of monster that I just don't know. She's always been fine before (she's six) and this is completely outside of my experience with dogs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Not much else you can do apart from I would have gone and found out if the deer was OK. Now though you know what Milly can do so you have choices IMO either keep her on a lead or teach a 100% recall.

My little murderer doesn't get off lead anywhere I think we may see rabbits. His recall is only about 90%.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Try not to beat yourself up, these things happen. My Slovak did exactly the same with her Golden Retriever 'friend'; they chased and brought down a deer. It all happened in the blink of an eye and they had caught the poor thing before we even saw what happened.

The problem with deer is that they tend to spring out of nowhere and their fast, erratic movements are hard for dogs to resist. Even my Labrador who has about as much prey drive as a wooden spoon attempts to give chase if we come across deer.

Did this happen in woodland by any chance? because if I see deer in the fields (which is frequently; there are lots around here) I can just recall mine no problem. My problem is when my dog spots them before me and this is nearly always in woodland. She will give chase briefly but will then thankfully recall to whistle. I just think of it as being one of those things and that one time the deer got unlucky.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Oh you must be feeling terrible about this, I know I would be. It takes a lot to call any dog off a deer, even some of the best behaved, it's natural for some of them to chase anything that's running, especially a deer.

Are you sure it isn't Millie's blood that you can see, because in all honesty, a deer would have given a good kicking if it felt threatened? Look in her mouth, see if you can see any damage there if you can't see anything on the outside of her.

You're going to have to keep her onlead in this area from now on, you've had the warning, you got let off lightly, coz most dogs chasing deer, just won't give up, they will run forever after it. I know this, because I saw a beautiful gsd being killed once on a main road 2 cars in front of me, who had run away from its owner chasing a deer. The deer got across the road, but the dog got hit as it followed

My dog once chased a deer on the top of a hill, in thick, thick fog one morning, she was gone She came back to me pretty quickly when she heard my calls, because I think she frightened herself getting so far away from me, which thankfully, she never normally does. A few days later when I was up there again, I was very aware of the deer lurking about, one shot past us in the woodland next to the path, I saw it, my dog saw it, she went to run after it, but for some strange reason she listened to my leave it and left it, I was most impressed with myself there I have to tell you!

You will now have to be ultra careful, be aware, and keep a hold of her when you're next in the area because they will be about, more now than at any other time (I think!).
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh dear ( no pun intended )
It's one of those steep learning curves I'm afraid. Mine was with Hares, 2 in one week .
I did manage to train my dogs not to chase if I told them no, but it does take time, I can now recall my remaining dog mid chase, although it's obviously better if you get the command in when the prey first shows itself.
I started off using a ball, throwing it and getting them to wait before they took off after it, it took baby steps at first, then making the game increasingly more exciting. It all just clicked into place from there.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Oh dear ( no pun intended )
It's one of those steep learning curves I'm afraid. Mine was with Hares, 2 in one week .
I did manage to train my dogs not to chase if I told them no, but it does take time, I can now recall my remaining dog mid chase, although it's obviously better if you get the command in when the prey first shows itself.
I started off using a ball, throwing it and getting them to wait before they took off after it, it took baby steps at first, then making the game increasingly more exciting. It all just clicked into place from there.
You can also practice by going out earlier in the morning when all the rabbits are about, concentrate on making her leave it, and then you move on to bigger things. Take lots of treats so that she gets the message if she leaves them alone, she always gets a treat. Good luck.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
The only thing I can suggest is practising more recall, though I appreciate deer are a little difficult to prepare for. In all honesty My dogs would have done the same thing.

The way I would have handled it would to to try and recall the dog, if they "do a deaf one" I then shut up and try and keep a look out. They'll soon return and then...well then they get ignored for their trouble. Its always worked for me. I bend down, clip on the lead and just walk. Sheepish looking dog for the next few hours... and they generally NEVER do it again.l
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
SEC (Sudden environmental contrast) can catch us all out at times.

For example, dogs which do not bother with sheep in a field, may well chase a sheep that pops up out on the moors.

It is practically impossible to train for deer due to not being able to go to a certain place and train there.

Even dogs that do not do anything in places such as Richmond Park may not be safe, as often there are too many there for dogs to react, they are "flooded".

The best advice I can give is to watch your dog. I spend a lot of time watching what my dogs do in specific circumstances.

I can usually tell if they are giving me a dog alert, person alert, bird/rabbit and certainly deer.

They behave in a much more different way and when I see that they go on leads.

Most deer will run but beware Sika Deer which can give VERY nasty injuries to dogs with their little sharp antlers.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Take lots of treats so that she gets the message if she leaves them alone, she always gets a treat. Good luck.
Yes, I should have mentioned that, mega treats and fun times for not chasing the ball.
Mine got to the point where if they were to chase the ball in a normal game I had to say " ready steady......" or else they would just sit there waiting on a treat .
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
If I let Polo off lead in the woods, I entertain him. If left to his own devices, as soon as the nose goes up in the air I know he can smell deer and I need to recall at that point or he is off and then it's too late. I can recall him off a ball or rabbits and even pheasant if he disturbs them but I have no chance with deer.

Tara and lady no longer go off lead in the woods as they only want to hunt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >