Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Had first big ones just now and so far no shaking or anything from rox, shes just sitting on the sofa listening. They startled puppy but im not sure hes ever heard them before - few woofs but I just put him back on his bed and hes back to sleep...

Ones litteraly gone off now and they got up, woofed and both back to bed... fingers crossed this is a good start!
Just heard our first fireworks too! They are just a few doors down. Theres a poor cat just outside the flat cowering under some bins.. I hope its not lost

Kestral had a little grumble and is now fast asleep. Phew. All my worrying for nothing!!

Hope others are doing alright.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Izzy is terrified so I am not looking forward to next week at all. Parker is not frightened but gets angry about them as he is quite territorial and perceives them as a threat.

If he is outside when they are going off he would not be bothered at all. The best place for him next weekend would be at a display but I can imagine the looks I would get if I took him along to one! Everyone would think I was cruel (no-I am not planning to-even if it were allowed) but as I say it doesn't bother him out of doors-it is indoors he is so reactive to them.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I had to go to work tonight for an hour (one off annual event) and when we came back we could see fireworks going off at the top of the hill!

Sooooo stooopid! Why can't they be legally restricted to November 5th??

Whisper was frantic when we came home. Am dreading next weekend quite honestly. She is nervous anyway so we expected her to be scared and she is, bless her.

She's not usually allowed on the sofa but is curled up next to us tonight. 3 hours on she's only just relaxed enough to eat her supper.

Frankly I wish fireworks were not on sale to the general public at all and were confined to public displays. Apologies if this has been said as haven't had time to read the whole thread.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Madison hates the bangs, we have to turn the tv up loud, close the curtains and spray a bandana with dap to help her - tried the plug in but it was too strong and was causing her to vomit.
She has been worse this year poor girl, new pup Merf isn't bothered by them - fingers crossed she continues that way.
Just wish they would ban all fireworks that bang or at least restrict them to shows only.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
Madison hates the bangs, we have to turn the tv up loud, close the curtains and spray a bandana with dap to help her - tried the plug in but it was too strong and was causing her to vomit.
She has been worse this year poor girl, new pup Merf isn't bothered by them - fingers crossed she continues that way.
Just wish they would ban all fireworks that bang or at least restrict them to shows only.
I REALLY dont see the point in the ones that just bang, no clours or anything, just shoot up and bang.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Yes rescue remedy is safe for dogs.

I set up a crate in a quiet room cover it and give the right amount of valerian put on the radio or TV and then leave the dog be. Thats the best results I have had. The dap the same dog hardly a flinch. She had pups so I didn't want to give anything by mouth.
None have worked so far........... bark, shiver, yellp.....

and again it goes on...........
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hanlou View Post
I had to go to work tonight for an hour (one off annual event) and when we came back we could see fireworks going off at the top of the hill!

Sooooo stooopid! Why can't they be legally restricted to November 5th??

Whisper was frantic when we came home. Am dreading next weekend quite honestly. She is nervous anyway so we expected her to be scared and she is, bless her.

She's not usually allowed on the sofa but is curled up next to us tonight. 3 hours on she's only just relaxed enough to eat her supper.

Frankly I wish fireworks were not on sale to the general public at all and were confined to public displays. Apologies if this has been said as haven't had time to read the whole thread.

I totally agree, and have said this many times.........after all, this is legalised sale of explosives. A namby pamby state that bans conker games should surely do something about this? I do so wish that they would.

Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
Yes, it is high time that a total ban on bangs came into force, along with a tight restriction on the sale of the wretched things. Poor Madison, I know what you go through with her, having had it ourselves in the past.

Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I REALLY dont see the point in the ones that just bang, no clours or anything, just shoot up and bang.
Just as I was reading through this earlier, one of those hundred shot things went off down the lane............no pretty colours as you say, just bang bang bang bang for absolutely ages. I forced myself to just hum quietly and carry on with what I was doing, because Jimmi thank goodness is our first experience of a dog that isn't bothered by bangs, and I don't want to change that by my reaction to them. However, I was so upset inside because of what it will be doing to other animals in the area. A friend of my daughter lost her dog last year when fireworks caused it to have a fatal heart attack. I hate them so much, and it is somewhat refreshing to find others on this thread who echo my views..........usually I am shouted down by people who thoroughly enjoy fireworks and who think that "moaners" are over reacting. I think that if any of those people was forced to see the hours and hours of distress of a firework phobic dog, they might feel differently. Or maybe not.......perhaps if they don't have animals it doesn't concern them.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I'd happily see them restricted to displays only, I hate going out around this time of year because of the idiot teenagers who like to throw lit fireworks at people. A restriction on how loud they are would be nice, ban all these ridiculously loud ones and keep the quieter ones. Not an ideal solution I know but I honestly can't see them banning them completely.

Personally I don't see what there is to enjoy about fireworks but apparently I'm weird. Now if they had fireworks like the dragon one in the Lord of the Rings movie it might be different
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:20 AM
We had fireworks start last night. I know Soso reacts badly, so I whisked her upstairs and settled her down with a pig's ear and lots of cushions. She endured it alright.

Willow was downstairs with the OH, and these being her first fireworks we weren't sure what would happen. She totally ignored it all She even went outside for a puddle, got caught by one of those repeating bang barrage things, and just stopped, looked up for a minute, and then kept on sniffing around. Totally phlegmatic about it all, and we are really happy about that.
callumsmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:53 AM
i am glad i moved as it was like living in a war zone where i used to be for 2 weeks ..Here last night we heard a few distant fireworks and callum was clutching his puppy blanket but last year when i got here i do not remember it being to bad so hopefully it will soon come and go,
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7