Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Human babies learn to manipulate at a very early age and it is the same with dogs to some extent, any dog whatever their breed, small or large can become unstable and unpredictable unless given rules and guidence.
Am interested in why you disagree with what I've said and is 'plain wrong', no offence
Please read Jean Donaldson`s The Culture Clash` which addresses why we shouldn`t interpret canine behaviours in the light of human ones. It explains why far better than I ever could.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I certainly will read Jean Donaldson's book, thankyou, any dog books are of interest I know dogs and humans aren't the same but undesirable behaviours in either are best corrected as early as possible. The last thing anyone would want would be for the dog to try and discipline anyone(with teeth) especially a child, if it thinks it is of higher status and doing what it sees as acceptable(not very well explained again). The consequences of this happening would not be good. I hope very much that things sort out for all the family, some good advice given by others here. Please let us know how they're getting on, best of luck with it all.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Undesirable behaviours don't need correcting in a confrontational way. You can distract the dog away from most of them---then if you ever do have to 'correct' in a physical way (which you shouldn't have to), the dog trusts you enough to understand the correction and accept it.

If OTOH you are always pulling it around and saying 'no' and smacking it you get a dog who wants to bite.

One of the best things someone said to me about children was to stop using unnecessary 'no's, same with dogs.

rune
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2