View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear that, all the best My vet told me there had been a small outbreak of parvo round here recently
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Can I just ask

Can a dog still get parvo after its parvo vaccination?
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi lel
Well it looks like it as buster was up to date with all his. Have been up vets, It was a different vet and i like her alot she has done alot of reserch into parvo and told me alot about it for a start she said we should have waited 6 months untill we got buster but our vet said 2 months. She has done a blood test and a feceas swob and will get the results next week, she says it will be hard to detect the parvo because of the vaccination, she did explain why but very technical.

Buster is still at home he has had a shot of penecillin and we got to give him small amounts of this food very often, and to keep a close eye on him. At the mo it is looking good as he hasnt been sick and wants to play but we gunna make him rest. Maybe it isnt parvo but as cass got ill very quickly when she had it we are panicking a bit. Fingers crossed and will let you know.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Best wishes for all
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Best of luck with your pup Cassey, the vacination only sometimes lessen the severity of the virus, it does guarantee that the dog dog will not get it, if vacinated the dog usually stands a better chance of surviving Parvo, agian best wishes.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your pup Cassey. Vaccinationa are no guarantee against any of these diseases, although I do think insurance will pay up if you dogs have been vaccinated??
The advice given by Hal Thompson a true expert on parvo & other diseases, (hes one of the vets who found the parvo virus) at Glasgow Diagnostics was not to have any dog under a year old on property where the parvo virus has been, for at least a year, I think I mentioned this before. The other thing he told me is it DOES like heat & the sun so they won`t kill it. It can`t be a small strain of it, he either has it or he doesn`t, you could ask her to send the samples to Glasgow Diagnostic services, parvo is not difficult to diagnose by the right people. You or your vet need to make a suspected adverse reaction report, you can do it online, the vaccine didn`t work & needs reporting.
Hope he`ll be better soon

Lel, yes dogs can still get the diseases even when they`ve been vaccinated against them.
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi, I have sent you a pm, but i forgot to ask you about reaction report that you can do online. Let me know how to do it and i will. like i said the vet have said it must have been a small strain as they both recovered from it very quickly, especially buster as he is was only ill for 3 days and is now back to his playfull lovely self
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Great to hear you dogs are back to normal...
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2005, 11:44 PM
brilliant news about Buster

best wishes

Diane
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi Cassey, heres the link to make out the report, on the left hand side hover mouse over adverse reactions & a sub menu comes up, click on forms & when that comes up its the top one you need to click on, then just fill it in
http://www.vmd.gov.uk/
Please get in touch with Glasgow Diagnostics, they are very helpful & ask them to explain things, you can not have a *small strain* he either had it or he didn`t, I also think your vet should get in touch with them as well! Ask them who did the testing.
Now what could happen is that it didn`t effect him very badly, his body was able to fight it before it got a good hold.
Here is the link for who to get in touch with at Glasgow Uni. Either the first or second on the list, just click on their name & it will open your email programme
http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/d...ics/people.htm
Glad he`s getting better now
Christine.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2