Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Usually the cost of anything paid by a consumer includes VAT and is not shown as a separate item. On the ecommerce websites I manage - VAT is only shown separately for TRADE customers.

You pay it on the food you buy for a pet (some animal feed is exempt - if they produce food for humans for example) and you pay it on toys and clothing and accessories for your pets.

I don't really see why it should be any different paying it on a service like having a pet euthanised.

I've gone on before about people properly taking into consideration the REAL cost of owning a pet for the duration of the pet's life. Not just the cost of buying and feeding it. But got shot down in flames by one member in particular who told me it was DISGUSTING that I paid over £1K to fly my pet to the UK for me and should have given the money to the needy.
Disgusting? Really? I don't think so. What's disgusting is when people judge others for no reason. You work for your money, you do what you want with it.

I think that people who take good care of their pets are usually good people, regardless of how much they paid for their pet etc.

This is why its ridiculous IMO to mock how much people paid for their pet, regardless of breed, etc. Doesn't even matter in the long run.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Disgusting? Really? I don't think so. What's disgusting is when people judge others for no reason. You work for your money, you do what you want with it.

I think that people who take good care of their pets are usually good people, regardless of how much they paid for their pet etc.

This is why its ridiculous IMO to mock how much people paid for their pet, regardless of breed, etc. Doesn't even matter in the long run.
You beat me to it Myra. It was Tang's money, money that she earned, and she can spend it on what she wants. She supports all the animal charities in Cyprus and has helped many of her neighbours, so why should she be told she should have given the money to "the needy".

Bella needed her - I mean how on earth could Tang go off for four or five months and leave her?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
You beat me to it Myra. It was Tang's money, money that she earned, and she can spend it on what she wants. She supports all the animal charities in Cyprus and has helped many of her neighbours, so why should she be told she should have given the money to "the needy".

Bella needed her - I mean how on earth could Tang go off for four or five months and leave her?
I agree with you. I don't like when people are too quick to point fingers and tell others what to do with THEIR money. I don't sit there and tell people "Hey! Never buy dogs from breeders!" just because I would never do so.

They can do what they want with their money. I'm all for adopting homeless puppies and rescuing dogs, but I mean if someone wants to buy their dog from a breeder and will take good care of it, who am I to go shooting off at the mouth and saying:

HOW DARE YOU!! YOU JUST KILLED A SHELTER DOG YOU DISGUSTING HUMAN!!

That's just pathetic and there is no reason for that at all. Be happy they are caring for their pet well and just pipe down with all that nonsense... that's just my opinion.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 05:56 PM

That's quite hilarious really as it was YOU who berated me for spending the money. Resulted in me not making any more new threads in the debate section too! From memory you (having been berated by others) then apologised. Hey it's all a long time ago now - but I still recall what you said. And all because I tried to support AZZ in his efforts to get a 'debate' section going!

Debate is debate - raising the question whether people put enough thought into whether they can afford a dog is not personally attacking those who think they can't or hadn't considered extra cost. It was aimed at people who were 'thinking' of getting a dog anyway. Not those who already had committed.

Shame you didn't think the same at the time! You in fact said you had done what you thought I should have done - given the money to those in need lol!

Funny ole world indeed!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 06:01 PM
That's quite hilarious really as it was YOU who berated me for spending the money. Resulted in me not making any more new threads in the debate section too!

Debate is debate - raising the question whether people put enough thought into whether they can afford a dog is not personally attacking those who think they can't or hadn't considered extra cost. It was aimed at people who were 'thinking' of getting a dog anyway. Not those who already had committed.

Shame you didn't think the same at the time! You in fact said you had done what you thought I should have done - given the money to those in need lol!

Funny ole world indeed!
Oh, ouch. Gosh, I didn't know that it was Malka who said that. Perhaps she has had a change of heart? Either way, I don't think it's right to tell people what to do with their money.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Nor do I. Not having worked for 45+ years and paid my taxes (still paying them at full rate) and still paying tax on savings interest that I saved from what I earned and paid tax on! And I also pay tax on my state pension!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Oh, ouch. Gosh, I didn't know that it was Malka who said that. Perhaps she has had a change of heart? Either way, I don't think it's right to tell people what to do with their money.
Myra, I definitely did not say that - I would never tell anyone what to do with their money.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Myra, I definitely did not say that - I would never tell anyone what to do with their money.
I see. Well then, there is some sort of conflict going on here that I have missed out on
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 06:27 PM

You pay it on the food you buy for a pet (some animal feed is exempt - if they produce food for humans for example) and you pay it on toys and clothing and accessories for your pets.
There is no VAT on food for working dogs either which would seem to indicate that the majority of dogs are considered to be a luxury. I don't pay it on my dogs' food.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2014, 06:47 PM
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=185765&page=2

Post 20 might refresh your memory

It all went downhill from then
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >