Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:30 PM

Puppy training questions

Hello

We have a 10 week old Terrier and I have a few questions regarding training her.

Crate training-
She is being crated at night and currently wakes up in the middle of the night crying, I get up with her as soon as I hear her crying but to find she's already done a wee on her bed. The crate is 30" so too big for her but we made it smaller by putting a basket in there, the problem is that she's weeing where she's been sleeping, she sleeps on a blanket in her bed. I have ordered a small crate but not sure if it will help. Other than that her toilet training so far is brilliant.

Wearing a collar-
She is a really energetic little thing and happy in herself, comes to her name etc. however, as soon as I put her collar on she will hide under the table and not move, not come to her name or eat anything. Today I tried to take her to the toilet outside and it was as if she was frozen! What can I do to make her not fear her collar?

Thanks for any advice
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Re the crate. It just did not seem to work for my pup so i stopped using it then after a few weeks tried again (more because he was eating my kitchen floor than anything else!) i did get up to him every two hours then every two and a half etc though, now he goes from 11-6.30, he is 6 months and has a very occasional accident, how often do you let your pup out? Are you rewarding her when she comes back in?

Is the collar a soft puppy one? I would find a treat or toy she likes and just put the collar on when she is amused by that and then take it off, if that distracts her keep it on for a few mins longer each time then she should see it as exciting.
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I let her out every 2 hours or so and yes praise her for going. It just concerns me that she wees where she's been sleeping. At night she wakes up once and that's when she will wee in the crate, literally she will wake up, wee, then cry.

Her collar is a soft puppy collar and i did try putting it on while she was distracted playing or before her dinner but she will simply stop playing and not go to her food, which is odd for her cause she is a eater!
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Wiggins was just the same, i read somewhere that if pups are not encouraged to toilet out of the crate when still with the breeder it makes it harder to learn. I moved to puppy pads for a few weeks which i do regret as it took longer to train him, was stressful and expensive, but in hindsight it probably did develop him instinct to move from his bed. Sorry i cant advise any more than that, i found it really difficult but we got there in the end!

Has she got a kong? May be with something which holds her interest more may distract her.
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks, no not tried a kong, i will give it a go!
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2013, 11:11 PM
At 10 weeks old your puppy will not have very good bladder control. At 10 weeks I would be getting up every 2-3 hours to let him/her out.

My pup is nearly 6 months, he has had no accidents in the house since he was 13 weeks but he did pee in his crate the other night. I usually get up for a wee myself around 4am so let him out at the same time, this night I hadn't woken up and so I woke up to a lake of pee in his crate with said puppy curled up right against the side so he wasn't laid in it He hasn't peed in his crate since or in the house, accidents happen sometimes.

As for the collar I would leave it on all the time and ignore the fearful behavior. Your pup will soon get used to it being on.
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Thank you, I was thinking of setting my alarm for 4am to take her cause she seems to go just after that. She's just done it again tonight bless her, my friend suggested that it was cause of the cold weather and that she doesn't want to go outside but I think it's more to do with small bladder
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes, I would treat a pup like a baby and literally set alarm throughout the night for at least the first few weeks to lessen the chance of pup getting used to weeing in the house.

It can be a tiring thing to do but at the end of the day I believe is much better for pup and owner
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Doing that did help with the weeing in the night, however, this morning I took her to the loo, then she runs in and starts to pee in her crate! She has a training mat nearby, I know she won't be toilet trained yet but should I be concerned that she's walking into her crate to do a wee? She did this last night before bed too, did a wee outside then about 30 mins later whilst I was tiring her out she ran into her crate to wee, she showed no signs of needing a wee she was looking for her toy it seemed!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzie-301 View Post
Doing that did help with the weeing in the night, however, this morning I took her to the loo, then she runs in and starts to pee in her crate! She has a training mat nearby, I know she won't be toilet trained yet but should I be concerned that she's walking into her crate to do a wee? She did this last night before bed too, did a wee outside then about 30 mins later whilst I was tiring her out she ran into her crate to wee, she showed no signs of needing a wee she was looking for her toy it seemed!
Then I would be taking her out after tiring her out. She doesn't quite seem to know where not to toilet and perhaps toilets from excitement? The blanket in the crate is nice and soft and absorbent, it's warm and cosy in the crate. Unlike outside. I would also change the type of bedding to try to break the toiletting/bedding association.

I would also get rid of the training mat if she does not use it.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >