Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 10:00 PM

National gardens scheme & off-lead dogs

We have recently found out about the national open gardens scheme and a lot of them allow you to take dogs as long as they are on a short lead. Great we thought-how nice as normally dogs are "persona non grata" (or "canine non grata"!) when you want to go out somewhere for the day it's normally "NO DOGS".

We have been really enjoying wandering around other people's beautiful acres of garden as we only have a tiny one but one thing spoils it for me is that although all dogs have to be on-leads the people whose are holding the open garden let their dogs off-lead to wander round. Because Cherry is fear-reactive to other, unfamiliar (large) dogs I have to be on the alert with eyes in the back of my head!

The last one we went to had 3 Lurchers wandering about and today's had a black Lab that came and sat next to me whilst I was eating my cake! It also sat near some other people eating who didn't look too impressed shall we say! (definitely not "doggy" people).

Jamie came close to running it over on the way home as it just crossed the road out of its house right in front of our car whilst the owner stood and watched it!

I know it is their garden and the owner can do what they like but I would have thought it would be better (and safer) to move your dogs out of the way when you have lots of visitors coming in with strange dogs? Even Jamie was a bit worried today about Parker's reaction when the black Lab came up to him and sniffed him as Parker was on a short lead and the other dog was free but he had no need to worry as Parker is always fine with other dogs as long as they aren't Staffys. He has a point though as sometimes when a dog is on a lead and the other one isn't they can feel a bit defensive can't they?

Perhaps I had better check with the owners of the house if they will be having large dogs roaming around before I go to the next garden with them as I don't think it's fair on Cherry and I can't pick her up all the time! I think we may get an "ASBO" and banned from the scheme if I failed to see an approaching large dog from behind and Cherry head-butted it!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
We have recently found out about the national open gardens scheme and a lot of them allow you to take dogs as long as they are on a short lead. Great we thought-how nice as normally dogs are "persona non grata" (or "canine non grata"!) when you want to go out somewhere for the day it's normally "NO DOGS".

We have been really enjoying wandering around other people's beautiful acres of garden as we only have a tiny one but one thing spoils it for me is that although all dogs have to be on-leads the people whose are holding the open garden let their dogs off-lead to wander round. Because Cherry is fear-reactive to other, unfamiliar (large) dogs I have to be on the alert with eyes in the back of my head!

The last one we went to had 3 Lurchers wandering about and today's had a black Lab that came and sat next to me whilst I was eating my cake! It also sat near some other people eating who didn't look too impressed shall we say! (definitely not "doggy" people).

Jamie came close to running it over on the way home as it just crossed the road out of its house right in front of our car whilst the owner stood and watched it!

I know it is their garden and the owner can do what they like but I would have thought it would be better (and safer) to move your dogs out of the way when you have lots of visitors coming in with strange dogs? Even Jamie was a bit worried today about Parker's reaction when the black Lab came up to him and sniffed him as Parker was on a short lead and the other dog was free but he had no need to worry as Parker is always fine with other dogs as long as they aren't Staffys. He has a point though as sometimes when a dog is on a lead and the other one isn't they can feel a bit defensive can't they?

Perhaps I had better check with the owners of the house if they will be having large dogs roaming around before I go to the next garden with them as I don't think it's fair on Cherry and I can't pick her up all the time! I think we may get an "ASBO" and banned from the scheme if I failed to see an approaching large dog from behind and Cherry head-butted it!
My friends is part of that scheme, she will be opening the garden next weekend for the public.

As for taking dogs with you, ask yourself this, would you take your dogs to someones house you dont know and be happy to allow them to socialize. if not dont take your dogs.

My friend has dogs, a few of her JRT `s are not the friendlies,t she has no policy on "taking your dogs with you" but her dogs are allowed to roam in her garden, if anyone does bring a dog with them , she will ask them to leave as her dogs are out.

I think you are expecting to much to expect people to lock up their own dogs so you can bring yours with you.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My friends is part of that scheme, she will be opening the garden next weekend for the public.

As for taking dogs with you, ask yourself this, would you take your dogs to someones house you dont know and be happy to allow them to socialize. if not dont take your dogs.

My friend has dogs, a few of her JRT `s are not the friendlies,t she has no policy on "taking your dogs with you" but her dogs are allowed to roam in her garden, if anyone does bring a dog with them , she will ask them to leave as her dogs are out.

I think you are expecting to much to expect people to lock up their own dogs so you can bring yours with you.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the OP was simply saying that to have OFF leash dogs roaming around when other dogs are ON leash, can be a bit tricky...

I didn't get from her post that she thought any dogs should be 'locked up'.

It is an interesting issue. I would LOVE to take Dexter to some of these gardens but when he's on leash and sees other dogs, he gets so excited it would be difficult.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:51 AM
I`m afraid I agree. If the resident dogs are friendly, it is plain cruel to lock them up just because visitors may not like them. A sign on the gate - friendly dogs loose - would be a good idea though.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the OP was simply saying that to have OFF leash dogs roaming around when other dogs are ON leash, can be a bit tricky...I didn't get from her post that she thought any dogs should be 'locked up'.

It is an interesting issue. I would LOVE to take Dexter to some of these gardens but when he's on leash and sees other dogs, he gets so excited it would be difficult.
I read her post to say, that she was unhappy with the dogs that belong to the house being let of lead.

Most of the people who run these garden parties will be extremely busy during the event, you cant expect them to do their job of the day whilst having their dogs on lead tied to them all the time.

So in reality , the dogs (belonging to the garden) will either be locked away or roaming free.

So in reality , if you have a dog that is iffy with others, its not a good idea to take them to a place where others me be roaming (someones garden).

As Kerryowner has found out, most will own dogs and see no reason to put them away, if you take your dog with you, you must be realistic and expect their house dogs to be out! or at least be prepared if they are.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 01:17 PM

No-you've misunderstood me! The gardens we went to are the ones that say "on-lead dogs allowed". There are lots of other gardens in the scheme where they aren't allowed.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the OP was simply saying that to have OFF leash dogs roaming around when other dogs are ON leash, can be a bit tricky...

I didn't get from her post that she thought any dogs should be 'locked up'.

I'm not expecting this but I think you should be told that there will be off-lead dogs about then I would not have taken Cherry! As the blurb said only dogs allowed on short leads it didn't cross my mind that there would be dogs roaming free. Cherry is fine with other dogs when they're on leads so I didn't think there would be a problem.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2011, 01:21 PM
No-you've misunderstood me! The gardens we went to are the ones that say "on-lead dogs allowed". There are lots of other gardens in the scheme where they aren't allowed.
Sorry about that, thought you meant the "resident dogs" were of lead.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I read her post to say, that she was unhappy with the dogs that belong to the house being let of lead.

Most of the people who run these garden parties will be extremely busy during the event, you cant expect them to do their job of the day whilst having their dogs on lead tied to them all the time.

So in reality , the dogs (belonging to the garden) will either be locked away or roaming free.

So in reality , if you have a dog that is iffy with others, its not a good idea to take them to a place where others me be roaming (someones garden).As Kerryowner has found out, most will own dogs and see no reason to put them away, if you take your dog with you, you must be realistic and expect their house dogs to be out! or at least be prepared if they are.
She is fine with other on-lead dogs-as I said I wasn't expecting the owner's dogs to be roaming around when there are lots of strange dogs in their garden! The owner yesterday would definitely have been safer having his dog "locked away" as he was standing chatting to someone and his dog crossed the road in front of our car and we nearly hit it!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2011, 01:27 PM
She is fine with other on-lead dogs-as I said I wasn't expecting the owner's dogs to be roaming around when there are lots of strange dogs in their garden! The owner yesterday would definitely have been safer having his dog "locked away" as he was standing chatting to someone and his dog crossed the road in front of our car and we nearly hit it!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and now you know that some of these open gardens who have a dogs welcome sign, will more than likely if they have dogs themselves have their own of lead roaming their gardens.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >