Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 11:35 AM

No Wonder Some Children get bitten

When I was in the vets with Lily earlier this week there was a little girl come in with her parents, she was I would think around 4-5years old.
I always take Lilys muzzle in the vets with her as I havn't had her long enough to know her inside out and if it gets packed with little small furry dogs I like to have it to put on incase she reacts.
When I come out from seeing the vet I stood at the reception desk and this couple were in the waiting room with thier daughter. The little girl immeadietly started running up to Lily and thrusting her face into hers and making barking noises at her. I slipped Lilys muzzle on as again lily has not been used to children let alone behaving like that. The child then ran up and started sticking her fingers inside the muzzle and into Lilys nostrils. I told the child 3 times not to do it and the child ran back to her parents all sulky and the parents told her to ignore the silly lady.
So back she came again so I said firmly. "Don't do that please, she is not used to children and I don't want you to get bitten".
With that the father stood up and said to me quite nastily, "Don't you ever tell my daughter what to do"
I was gobsmacked as bearing in mind most dogs in vets are sick so may not be feeling very patient with anything let alone being poked by a noisy child, and the fact Lily had a muzzle on, which may have been for all they knew because she was very vicious, they still felt thier daughter should be allowed to do whatever she pleased including sticking her fingers inside the muzzle.
Luckily I was just leaving so didn't say anything back or cause a scene, I just left, but the receptionists were totally gobsmacked by the mans attitude.
Lily was so good and just put up with it, but had she have bitten her fingers I expect the parents would have blamed poor Lily.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Easy to figure out why the child is so obnoxious with a father like that!

I have a reply for parents of that type - "if YOU would teach your child manners then I wouldn't have to!"
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Yikes! Too much of a "We can do anything we want" attitude with some people. And a total lack of common sense, not spotting their child approach a muzzled dog is one thing but to directly tell the child to order someone else's request is ridiculous.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 12:05 PM
here are some collars which i think are an excellent idea [can`t get them to fit mine though]. if i could get these to fit my own dogs i`d definatley have them wearing them just so people approaching know what to expect, if approaching people can`t read, no ones problem but theirs! i see you can also get the leads to match and they are inexpensive.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/2009sevil/m.h...id=p4340.l2562
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Oh my goodness...... what a despicable attitude from the parents. No wonder the child did as she liked.

What hope for this child in later years, and more importantly for other dogs she meets or, God forbid, owns!

Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Lily was so good and just put up with it, but had she have bitten her fingers I expect the parents would have blamed poor Lily.
Lily was a total star & you have the patience of a saint.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 01:43 PM
How rude! It's one thing them being unaware of what their child was doing, but to not only tell her to ignore you but to be rude to you is awful! I think you're right, if she had bitten, it'd have been Lily they blamed, but I think you'd have had plenty of witnesses!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
here are some collars which i think are an excellent idea [can`t get them to fit mine though]. if i could get these to fit my own dogs i`d definatley have them wearing them just so people approaching know what to expect, if approaching people can`t read, no ones problem but theirs! i see you can also get the leads to match and they are inexpensive.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/2009sevil/m.h...id=p4340.l2562
Just had a look the collars and leads. there brill. probably wont fit my AB but would the Staffie x.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Seems to be a more and more common attitude unfortunately. And of course Lily would have been blamed if she had reacted, after all, dogs are supposed to put up with whatever these little brats...I mean, darlings, want to do to them. The attitude of some parents is absolutely shocking these days. If I'd done that as a child I'd have been told off by my parents as well as told that if the dog bit me it would be my own fault.

If the parents won't tell their child to leave my dog alone then I'll physically block them and tell them myself. Yeah, it makes the parents angry and I've been threatened before but it's never come to anything more than verbal abuse. Personally I think they're just bullies who don't know what to do when someone stands up to them. It's no wonder so many kids feel they can do whatever they want with parents like this.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Or you could poke the child up the nostrils and tell the dad that he can't tell you what to do
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >