View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Playfighting/tug of war with Rottweiler?

Morning all

Quick question for the experienced Rottie owners out there.

We got our rescue rottie nearly two weeks ago now and she is starting to come out of her shell nicely.
Our last dog, who we had for 10 wonderful years was a rescue Rottie X (although he looked pure bred to all but the most experienced eye)
He absolutely adored playfighting and tug of war games, and in all the hundreds of hours that I played with him, it was never, ever a problem and he was the most placid dog I've ever encountered.
In fact, on one camping trip, he was laying in the grass enjoying a bone we'd bought him that morning, when a young lab sauntered over to him, sniffed his bone, then picked it up and trotted off with it! I had to go and retrieve the bone from the bemused dogs owner!
Not once did he growl or show the slightest hint of aggression, he just looked absolutely gutted until I'd retrieved it for him that's just the sort of dog he was.

With the new dog, I've been researching lots about Rotties as although she's just like all the others (big, placid teddy bear) there are a few sources that say you should never playfight or tug of war with a Rottie as it can encourage aggression.

So, what are the thoughts on Dogsey? harmful or not?

Just to add, obviously we'd get to know her a lot better before undertaking any play like that, and my Daughter isn't allowed to do it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 07:37 AM
I am in two minds about this really.

Lots say you should never play tug with a dog you can't win with because it might encourage him to think he is higher than you.

Personally I think that is a load of tosh.

I have played tug with my dogs and some times they have won and I have not noticed any behaviour problems.

In my experience the main danger of playing tug is if the dog gets over excited then they may accidently catch your hand while reajusting its grip on the tug.

You are experienced and if you are careful and go slowly you will be able to judge when he is ready for a bit of rough and tumble.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Cant see any more reason why a Rotie should be any more susceptible to turn tuggie into aggression, than any other dog...........I wonder if the someone who gave out this info is a bit hung up on the "dont let them dominate you " way of thinking.

My only rule for tuggie (with any dog//breed) is it stops when I say it does , and that they learn "bite inhibition", if they accidentally catch my skin, the game is over.

I have never felt that a game of tuggie is going to escalate into turning a dog aggressive.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 08:00 AM
i had a cross-rottie years back and used to always play tug a war. there was never any problems. I also play tug a war with my present dogs and there is never any aggression. the only thing i would say is my AB has caught my hand while playing and the game has stopped.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Thank's for the replies all.

I must admit it sounded tosh to me but I wanted to get some more opinions.

thanks again,

Chris
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I play tuggie with the Boxers.... sometimes they win!

However, they also know that if I say "thankyou" they give the toy to me.... and, as Jackbox says, bite inhibition is a must - if they catch my hand, albeit accidentally, they let go.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Teagan (Bullmastiff) loves a game of tuggie
She knows when we say it's over though
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I thunk you need to know your dog. And that isn't breed, that's an individuals traits. Some dogs will get too riled up with tuggy and perhaps it should be avoided. I believe if you do play, it should be controlled.

I play tuggy with my boy. He has fear aggression towards strangers and strange dogs but I do not think tuggy has any effect on this behaviour. He doesn't take the rope till I say "Take it!", he is not allowed teeth on skin and when I say "Drop it" he does. This is rewarded by a toss of the tuggy, he brings it back and we start again. It's a very enjoyable but controlled game Cain is also allowed to win sometimes and hasn't tried to take over the world or eat me yet
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:46 AM
As long as you set the rules (such as game starts when you say and ends when you say,no contact with skin etc) then I don't see why any breed of dog shouldn't play tug. I've seen it said about all dogs that playing tug leads to aggression but personally I think it's a load of rubbish. Rupert usually wins when we play tug coz he can literally drag me around the garden but if I say "ta" he will instantly let go.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the replies all

As I suspected then, all down to common sense!
We're actually some way off proper playing yet, she's still coming out of her shell but the early signs are there of wanting to get involved. I just wanted to ensure there was no mileage in the claim that you shouldn't do it just because she's a Rottie.

Cheers,

Chris
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >