View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Are Collie even "difficult" dogs? yes they are lively and need a good deal of exercise and stimulation, but if the couple in question are going to offer this I don't see a problem. I don't see BC's as being any more challenging than a lot of other breeds.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Are Collie even "difficult" dogs? yes they are lively and need a good deal of exercise and stimulation, but if the couple in question are going to offer this I don't see a problem. I don't see BC's as being any more challenging than a lot of other breeds.
Not all Collies, but if you take a look at Moobli's links you'll see exactly why I have concerns.

A friend of mine, an experienced and committed dog owner, who does training, agility etc. recently felt she had to return one of her dogs to the farmer she got it from. The dog was just not happy in an urban environment, it had a real need to work and all the walking and training and agility she could do with it just wasn't enough. As it had already showed promise with sheep the farmer was happy to take it back and the dog got to do what all her instincts were telling her to.

Not every 'worky' collie who can't adapt to a pet home has such a happy ending.

J.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Border Collies are quite unique I believe. The working bred dogs have been bred for generation upon generation to work sheep. Not all working bred collies do adapt to living in a pet home - even if the home is a brilliant one, and they try to channel the dog's energies into training, sport, exercise. As Mothership rightly says, sometimes that just isn't enough.

At the particular BC Rescue I have mentioned (with the links) they never place a BC pup in a pet home but strive to find excellent working homes so that the pup gets at least a chance of a working life. Older dogs are assessed on sheep and if found not to be suitable as working dogs are then found suitable pet homes.

Perhaps the rescue concerned could have a chat with the BC Rescue I have mentioned to see their views on the pup and the best way forward for it?
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Less of the old reference to 50`s
That was my first reaction too!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Did this couple get to rehome the pup?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I think so much "depends"

A close friend of mine had a farm bred collie when she was single. She'd always had dogs, but didn't have a huge knowledge of dog training or of behaviour.

What she did was to "work" Ben out on walks all the time. She used big sticks (I know, I know, but just saying what she did to, not saying it was right - nowadays she'd have used a kong or similar ) and threw them into high grass, cover etc and Ben would stalk and then chase and grab them. She spent a lot of time "directing" him with her own commands and arm directions, and he was as happy as Larry

He did get 3 walks a day, plus a LOT of attention when she was at home, the rest of the time she was a receptionist at the local doctor's surgery, (and her walks were literally out of her house onto the walks).

Sometimes it can work, not all the time though.

Wys
x
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Do you know how "worky" the Collie actually is? The reason i ask, is because my Drift is from pure working lines, but is a "failed" sheepdog. I do agility and clicker training with him, but he is by no means a manic dog. He never chases anything apart from his ball unlike Skye who loves to chase joggers/cyclists/anything that moves fast given half the chance and she's from show lines (with a bit of working lines too)
Moobli's links are excellent information for any Collie owners or would be Collie owners
Please let us know how you get on

Jann xx
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5