View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-05-2011, 09:06 AM
i think they sound like they want to make a go of it, 50 isn't that old at all as most people live to their 80s and can be active up until then
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Is it that you have a gut feeling this couple are not the right people? Do you feel they haven't done enough research?

If yes, then by all means give them more info and remind them that if they take on this dog and then can't cope, it's the dog that will suffer.

Those caveats aside, I don't think age should matter - frankly most the people I know who are in their 50s have MORE energy than my age group (late 30s).

But only you have met them and ONLY you know what your intuition is saying about them

Let us know what happens?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:07 AM
50 is not old at all...................
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I gather from your post the age wasn't a issue more like you were giving all the details.
Im presumming that the ''farm bred'' is that you are thinking ''working dog issues'' rather than ''bred from a pet collie''

and that they are novice owners.

I do homechecking for manytears, I would firstly advise that if you have an instinct discuss it with the rescue if your in a position too.
Alot of Collie rescues actually do a print out of the breed, there is one that will come up if you google it, you could print it off and give it to them, remebering that Collies can live to a ripe old age and need mental exercise as much as physical.
I have two farm breed here and TBH don't have alot of difficulties/difference with the pet bred ones I have.

I think the only things I have had was one used to nip, and this has to be trained out as an unwanted thing, which with some can be difficult if not managed right.
Also one of mine is a herder, I have not trained it out of her, rather the opposite and trained her to herd the chickens, rabbit, guinnepig, this enables me to have control over her herding instincts, so when we are out she knows the commands when she is NOT required to herd (any livestock we come across )
Alot of good collie rescues will also speak to anyone on the phone re advice....... so maybe they would be willing to do that so they get a really good insight on being a collie owner.....

Best wishes
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Is there any way they could perhaps take the dog on on a foster or trial basis? Some rescues I know like to get the dogs out of kenelling even if its just for a "holiday" to get them out of the kennel environment, it might be a good opportunity for both the dog (lol) and the new owners to make sure its right for them as you can do all the research in the world but when it comes down to practicality it might just not work....but then again it might and another rescue dog finds a wonderful home.

I personally wouldnt be concerned about their age - especially if they are fit and healthy. At least they are mature, have some life experience and common sense (hopefully) and know what they are going to be getting.

Good luck - I hope it all works out anyway!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
Is there any way they could perhaps take the dog on on a foster or trial basis? Some rescues I know like to get the dogs out of kenelling even if its just for a "holiday" to get them out of the kennel environment, it might be a good opportunity for both the dog (lol) and the new owners to make sure its right for them as you can do all the research in the world but when it comes down to practicality it might just not work....but then again it might and another rescue dog finds a wonderful home.

I personally wouldnt be concerned about their age - especially if they are fit and healthy. At least they are mature, have some life experience and common sense (hopefully) and know what they are going to be getting.

Good luck - I hope it all works out anyway!
All of the above applies to ALL breeds and NON breeds of course.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:49 AM
As i dont know much about collies I thought I would stick to what i DO know, lol.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Some friends of mine got a farm bred collie as a first dog after asking for advice and me saying a cavalier or similar might be best.

They became amazing committed owners and the dog did agility and they got a rescue friend for her as well.

I would NEVER have thought it----and I knew them well, at least I thought I did!

Your people have as much chance as any others of being a great home.

rune
I know a few people like this as well, but how do you tell and is it worth the gamble?

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I gather from your post the age wasn't a issue more like you were giving all the details.
Im presumming that the ''farm bred'' is that you are thinking ''working dog issues'' rather than ''bred from a pet collie''

and that they are novice owners.

I do homechecking for manytears, I would firstly advise that if you have an instinct discuss it with the rescue if your in a position too.
Alot of Collie rescues actually do a print out of the breed, there is one that will come up if you google it, you could print it off and give it to them, remebering that Collies can live to a ripe old age and need mental exercise as much as physical.
I have two farm breed here and TBH don't have alot of difficulties/difference with the pet bred ones I have.

I think the only things I have had was one used to nip, and this has to be trained out as an unwanted thing, which with some can be difficult if not managed right.
Also one of mine is a herder, I have not trained it out of her, rather the opposite and trained her to herd the chickens, rabbit, guinnepig, this enables me to have control over her herding instincts, so when we are out she knows the commands when she is NOT required to herd (any livestock we come across )
Alot of good collie rescues will also speak to anyone on the phone re advice....... so maybe they would be willing to do that so they get a really good insight on being a collie owner.....

Best wishes
Thank you! The age is NOT the issue, the inexperience is. My concern is that if when the dog hits maturity it presented some of the common collie issues they wouldn't have your experience and would not know how to manage it.

Fortunately it is a reputable rescue and the final decision won't be mine but theirs and I'm sure they'll make the right one.

J.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 11:35 AM
tbh if they are talking about activities and things then it sounds like they have been doing some research
If they WANT an active smart dog and are researching the pros and cons of it then in some ways I think NOT having preconcevied ideas from an 'easier' breed might actually be better
I see alot of 'experienced' dog owners get a collie because they want to do better in their sport - and they really struggle because the dog is so different
and i also so quite a few people who have a 'difficult' collie as their first dog but they work tru the issues really well because they were expecting to have to put work in

Personaly I dont see a problem - older - they havent rushed into things, stable and with time to spend with the dog
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 12:23 PM
They sound like great owners to me? Especially with all the time they are prepared to put in, so few people have so much time nowadays .

I don't buy all this first dog breed malarky. My first dog was a rescued male Akita who was found on the street, back end broken and never reclaimed Read any snippet on the breed and it will tell you they are dog aggressive, dominant and not suitable for first time dog owners He is perfect and has been a breeze to own, so much so i got another!

p.s the age thing, a 50 year old appeals more than a 20 year old if I was to rehome a dog, even a lively one, the time issue again.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >