Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Theres a lot of us about
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Gawd, I`ll stagger off and find me dentures so I can spit me teef out in disgust... if only I could remember where I put them. Oops tripped over me zimmer.......
Give the poor old souls the dog, dear. It`ll console them in their twilight years.

(from a member of the Bus Pass Posse)
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Gawd, I`ll stagger off and find me dentures so I can spit me teef out in disgust... if only I could remember where I put them. Oops tripped over me zimmer.......
Give the poor old souls the dog, dear. It`ll console them in their twilight years.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

Personally being in my 50's too cannot see the problem myself. They wil have more time and patience I would think.

Also later this year We are taking on another large breed puppy not quite so active as the collies but healthy dogs of this breed can be very active and naughty and we certainly do not consider ourselves over the hill for the commitment.

I think they will be fine.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Ok, Ladies! Put your teeth back in!

Actually I don't think their age is the issue, I just wanted to give you all the full picture, my biggest concern is that they are novice owners. I know everyone has to start somewhere but is a Collie the best place to start?

My gut instinct is that they are keen but don't really appreciate what they might be taking on. I was thinking of getting them to read that excellent page on the Wiccaweys site. Do you think that's a good idea?

They have seen a collie pup that they like but they are not so set on it that they won't consider other options.

J.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:41 AM
yes give them all the info available but high drive high energy dogs exist in er one or two other breeds
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Why do people say you can't have x y x as a first breed as long as they have the time and are willing to put the effort into training and learn about the breed it shouldn't matter.
ATD x
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
yes give them all the info available but high drive high energy dogs exist in er one or two other breeds
You're not wrong! I got my Mini Schnauzer thinking it would be a good breed for a novice, which the breed may be, but my particular example wasn't!!!

Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Why do people say you can't have x y x as a first breed as long as they have the time and are willing to put the effort into training and learn about the breed it shouldn't matter.
ATD x
You're right it shouldn't, and that's not the issue really, my concern is working out whether these particular individuals (lovely as they are) really may not appreciate what they may be taking on. I'm not sure how to fairly judge this, and therein lies my difficulty.

J.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Some friends of mine got a farm bred collie as a first dog after asking for advice and me saying a cavalier or similar might be best.

They became amazing committed owners and the dog did agility and they got a rescue friend for her as well.

I would NEVER have thought it----and I knew them well, at least I thought I did!

Your people have as much chance as any others of being a great home.

rune
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 08:06 AM
If this pup is coming from a reputable rescue then there should be good support and back up
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >