Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone

I think I shall see what happens, as I said previously, Henry has never done a tiddle in the garden, and now we have the lawn he just wants to lay on it and do roly polys

I may well try to watering can thing though, I don't really want to give him any additives just to keep the grass green
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on whether it's sensible to alter the makeup of the dog's urine or whether it could contribute to UTIs and similar. A slightly less "invasive" solution is one my mum follows - keeps a watering can by the back door and whenever th dog has a wee, someone just waters the area to dilute it
Our grass is terrible, my Dad keeps complaining because all 3 of my mutts mark the grass, and that includes 2 dogs as well as a bitch. The stuff you can buy to add to their food/water works out very expensive when you look at how much you have to give them for their weight.

I've taken to keeping a watering can by the gate now and so when I let them out for a tiddle, the watering can comes with me.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:16 PM
If you are going to ask him to use one patcular spot you should start straight away. We tried to teach Toby but we'd let him do it anywhere for too long
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I can promise you the only thing that prevents urine burns is watering the lawn immediately after the dog has pee'd! We've tried everything over the years and nothing works I'm afraid.

And Clive is right, both dogs and bitches can burn the lawn. Although bizarrely some never do? Neither my friends female Golden Retriever or my Sisters male Bichon has ever burnt the lawn!
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:38 PM
yeah i have to agree, if they pee on the grass hose it down.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Instead of adding things to the water, (continuing expense), or keeping a watering can handy (continuing work) why not just train your dog to urinate in a specific spot? Make a "dog loo" out of gravel and voila!
Just to follow up on this suggestion, we decided to give it a go. I decided I didn't want to add anything to his diet and to be perfectly honest, the last thing I want to do on a winter night is follow him around in the dark with a watering can So we decided to give it a try. We already have a pee post but he totally ignores it.

We picked an area, a sort of earthy poor excuse for a flower bed. He already understands the question "do you need a wee wee?" and will run to the back door so we used this to pre-empt the trip outside. Took him out on the lead every single time and stood at the spot. At first he sulked because he was on a lead and ended up lying down because he didn't understand what I wanted. I waited a few mins, if he didn't wee, I just took him back inside. I was really mean and refused to walk him until he weed in the garden. I also only took him out a few times a day to make sure that he really needed to go to increase the chance that he'd do it right,

on about the 3rd attempt, he did a wee. Massive fuss, click, reward, let off of lead for a sniff around. We continued this for two days. On the evening if the third day we were sitting in thr garden having dinner and Cain took himself to the spot and did a wee without prompting We stopped using the lead and just encouraged him to the right area. We are only on day 5 now and he is consistantly going on command, in the right spot Ill be glad of that when winter comes and I don't need to go out with him.

Anyway, I know dogs learn at different rates but Cain picked this up in no time. Less than a weeks work and our lawn is saved it's definately less effort overall than following he around with a watery can for the next decade And cheaper than adding stuff to his food. If you want to give this a go then now might be a good time as I doubt this training would be much fun on a rainy winter night
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Congratulations, this is more or less the method I adopted when I lived in a house with a beautiful landscaped garden, it meant that we could sit outside without the aroma of freshly cut grass or the fragrance of flowers being marred by the odour of urine and no unsightly marks were viewable.

Well done! It is quick, simple and easy to attain.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
yeah i have to agree, if they pee on the grass hose it down.
Have to agree, the only sure way to stop urine stains is by watering the grass.

Mind if you have a dog like Bandit, he favorite place to pee in the Garden was on my rotary line, over the years I have had a number, due the the urine rotting the posts bless him,
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions...however, just like Leon before him, Henry will not go to the toilet in the garden, no matter how desperate he is
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:44 AM
So if you did not let him out of the garden for 3 days he would not eliminate!?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >