View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Anything available to prevent urine staining on grass?

I'm not sure if this has been done before, and I've never worried about it myself.

We've just had turf laid and Clive is adamant that, should Hen tiddle on it, we will get bald or bleached patches. I've heard of bitches urine marking grass but not dogs, and I doubt whether Hen will do anything on it anyway as he has this mental block about going to the toilet in the garden.

Anyway, Clive is certain that you can get a block of something that you put in their drinking bowl and it does something to the urine to prevent bleaching/marking of the grass. I think he is getting confused with the yellow cooling blocks that you put into the water in the summer, but he so sure there is something available and suggested I ask you guys.

Any suggestions?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'm not sure if this has been done before, and I've never worried about it myself.

We've just had turf laid and Clive is adamant that, should Hen tiddle on it, we will get bald or bleached patches. I've heard of bitches urine marking grass but not dogs, and I doubt whether Hen will do anything on it anyway as he has this mental block about going to the toilet in the garden.

Anyway, Clive is certain that you can get a block of something that you put in their drinking bowl and it does something to the urine to prevent bleaching/marking of the grass. I think he is getting confused with the yellow cooling blocks that you put into the water in the summer, but he so sure there is something available and suggested I ask you guys.

Any suggestions?
Its called "dog rocks" Sheree

http://www.dogrocks.co.uk/

Not sure how successful they are, but might try them myself.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 11:05 AM
My Mum had one for Bizkit, but sadly Biz passed away before we found out if it worked or not.

The rock ended up in the bottom of a plant pot I'm afraid
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I've heard mixed reviews on whether it's sensible to alter the makeup of the dog's urine or whether it could contribute to UTIs and similar. A slightly less "invasive" solution is one my mum follows - keeps a watering can by the back door and whenever th dog has a wee, someone just waters the area to dilute it
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I tried dog rocks once but didn't make any difference to the grass so stopped using after 6 weeks or so cos i became worried what it may be doing to the water and Indi. Best way is to dilute it when he goes as mentioned above. xxxxxxx
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Mum and others swear by cider vinegar and it seems to work just a little bit in the water bowl everyday
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I was thinking about Dog Rocks but it's so expensive. We've just planted a lawn and have already got a load of big yellow patches. Our gardens not that pretty anyway and I don't care that much, but it would be nice without them. I'm going to try the cider vinegar Thanks.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I think the 'yellow blocs' you mention are rock sulphur, which, from what I could figure out, is very similar to the 'dog rocks'. I think they take something out of the water rather than changing the urine in the dog?

We decided not to use the dog rocks as they seemed expensive, you change them quite regularly and you have to make sure that the dog only drinks the treated water, which just wouldn't work for us!

A watering can by the back door works best!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Instead of adding things to the water, (continuing expense), or keeping a watering can handy (continuing work) why not just train your dog to urinate in a specific spot? Make a "dog loo" out of gravel and voila!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Tomato sauce on their food
Dunno how but I have been assured it works.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >