View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:02 PM
why the majority of people dont use them.

A good trainer in any sphere, whether that be with animals or people, has a well stocked toolbox.

They understand that living organisms are motivated by different things;

they understand that they can be motivated towards some things and away from others.

they understand that there are intrinsic and extrinsic motivators.

they understand that dogs are obedient to the laws of learning.

they understand, in other words, that there are a variety of methods to achieve the same end.

They understand that the use of positive punishment has several fatal flaws:

If insufficieint punishment is used, then escalation is required.

If unsuitable punishment is used, then the likelihood of the behaviour diminishing is reduced.

The risks of fallout from the use of coercion is high.

the delivery of punishment eg timing, duration, severity is much more critical than the use of positive reinforcement or negative punishment.

Finally punishing dogs is often far more convenient (for the owner) than the use of other methods, because the choice of punishment means that the owner is not punished (in the short run) by having to put time and effort into training another way..........
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, I never said my dogs were untrainable. Tai is very obedient, and so is Ben - actually Ben is more obedient than Tai and sitting and staying - but his one problem is - or rather was - his recall. I don't need to remind you that breeders of huskies and mals virtually all tell you NEVER to let them off leash. That is because it is so difficult to train them not to run off. However, it is possible, we did it with Hal and we did it with Tai - Hal NEVER ran off, he frequently would not come when he was called, but that is totally different from running off, or running away.

There is as much wolf (although of a different kind) in your dog as there is in Ben
yet again,both points your talking rubbish
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
my objection to them is based on morality. Un-necessary cruelty is wrong. It damages the victim and the perpetrator.
The reason 99.99% of people on this forum are against shocking, beating, kicking and burning dogs is simply that they understand that.
I doubt you will get someone who is in denial of that to change with scientific facts. Counselling perhaps.
Yes, I totally agree
To put it bluntly, people against them believe they are cruel and abusive, which they are.

I started disliking the idea of shock collars years ago, when some of the dog magazines were discussing them, and I could not even believe that an owner could be so cruel. I read and researched and everything I found, from using them for cribbing horses to toilet training to the use of continual stim, to US gundog training with them (flipping horrible, some sites, in their info) and then just other internet stuff (including Adam's videos! ) and so on made me feel just ill and very angry.

Gnasher mentioned she respects her husband's scientific way of looking at things, and also somewhere, some friend was mentioned who in his spare time reads lots of scientific papers to keep up to date with things. So I thought it might be a good idea to point out that as well as the (normal) emotional view, which is totally valid, and which is against cruelty and abuse, is backed up as well by science, as I hoped it may encourage at least more of a look into the whys and wherefores

Wys
x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yet again,both points your talking rubbish
Are you saying there is no wolf in a CSV
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I think the point is that, technically, there's wolf in every dog, just as there's ape in every human
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think the point is that, technically, there's wolf in every dog, just as there's ape in every human
I am not talking about that - of course there is wolf in every dog - I am referring to the recent wolf content in Tupacs czechie - if she is going to deny THAT, then really there is no hope for her
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:01 PM
No - actually I go to bed when I am tired, in common with the vast majority of the population

I had no understanding of what Ben has kindly posted about electricity - it is all gobbledegook to me - so I will have to read it out to hubby and ask him to translate for me.
Actually, I think most people on Dogsey, make sure their dogs needs are met before going to bed - tired or not? It is fitted in somewhere.

(hypothetically) your husband walks out on you tomorrow and leaves the dogs - what will you do? You would HAVE to walk them, train them, play with them....
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I am not talking about that - of course there is wolf in every dog - I am referring to the recent wolf content in Tupacs czechie - if she is going to deny THAT, then really there is no hope for her
get a grip woman lol

there is more wolf in Tupac than your 3 combined and then some ... happy
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Are you saying you have a CSV now?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:17 PM
there is nothing confused about Ben!! He knows EXACTLY what he's doing, what he wants do and WHEN he wants to do it!!

Now though, he is only allowed to do it on OUR terms, not his. He gets all the freedom he wants and needs, but he has to come to us when we call him.

Simples
I didnt think you LIKED dogs that did what they are told?
Page 19 of 42 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »