Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Puppy book recommendation needed.

Hi everyone. Time is marching on and I know that(hopefully) our new addition will be with us soon.

In the meantime I am going to do some reading. Last time I had the Victoria Stillwell book and that was about it.

I am looking for the obvious puppy books and also anything that will give me information about introducing a puppy to an older dog.

It goes without saying that I am ONLY interested in positive training methods
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Not sure how much is in there about introductions etc but I like Karen Pryor. I'd recommend them but your probably best looking around at the different ones to see which are best suited to you at the moment with the new pup coming.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:47 PM
The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey was all I had. That was about 5 years ago now, so it may well be outdated. Was a good read at the time though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi Rachel for a general puppy book for every new puppy owner I would recommend..
The fast track 'Puppy Survival Kit' by Lyn Fleet and Helen Roberts both members of the APDT . More of a booklet than a book but it covers the essentials and only costs a few £s
,http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/dog-trai...vival-kit.html
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Personally, I like 'The Dog Vinci Code' by John Rogerson. I know not everyone on here agrees with some of his theories. But, all of his training is based on building the right relationship with your dog, with particular advice on multi dog households and bringing up a new puppy
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2010, 12:56 AM
We found this an excellent training one.

Puppy Training the guide dog way

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puppy-Traini.../dp/1860542093
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 01:43 AM
If you want a copy of the perfect puppy leave me a message on the book of the face you can have mine.
Also I dont really think you need one, I'm sure Sharon's like me with loads of instructions.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
If you want a copy of the perfect puppy leave me a message on the [System edit: site in banned list] you can have mine.
Also I dont really think you need one, I'm sure Sharon's like me with loads of instructions.
I have found a cheap copy of the perfect puppy online......should have hung on I guess...but thanks for the offer!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
"Train your dog like a pro" by Jean Donaldson. It's not a puppy book as such but breaks training down into easy steps, I bought it for my mum when she got her new pup and now the puppy has started puppy classes, she's apparently one of the best trained pups already.
I've heard someone recommend her book "The Culture Clash" to a newbie puppy owner too.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
"Train your dog like a pro" by Jean Donaldson. It's not a puppy book as such but breaks training down into easy steps, I bought it for my mum when she got her new pup and now the puppy has started puppy classes, she's apparently one of the best trained pups already.
I've heard someone recommend her book "The Culture Clash" to a newbie puppy owner too.

I have the culture class so may well take a look at the other.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >