Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Scum of the earth.
The law should be changed but then they will never pay as they don't pay any fines do they.We have a similar problem here too.Our council has spent thousands improving our coastline.Installing cycle paths and promenades with lovely victorian lighting and pretty little benches all in some truly stunning landscaping.
What happens the bloody travellers move in around the salt lake site and turn it into a flytip area,with their scrap waggons and mounds of burning tyres..It's taken months to move them on and God knows how much the clean up is costing.Now the council have had to drop large boulders on the entrance to the carparks so no -one can use them,they've also had to drop boulders all along the pathways at the sides of the road the whole length of the coastline as they were taking the cavavans up the pavements and straight across the landscaped greenery so that they could park up and have a sea view.
They give the true gypsies a bad name....and their all on the bloody social too.I know as I take in prescriptions from them and they all tick the box for income support
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
A few years ago,2 of them knocked at my door asking if they could prune my trees and that they were really cheap.

I replied "you aint as cheap as me!"

Then they started asking if i needed any rubbish taking away and tried to have a look into my house.

At that moment-Abe (my old Rottie) appeared beside me and snarled at them both.The colour drained out of their cheeks and they left in their white transit van with magnetic signs on doors.

Sorry,but i dont trust or like them.They dont contribute anything to VAT/income tax or national insurance and they could never prove their income-legal or not.Occasionally,they invade the country park i like to walk in a few miles away and gets annoying with little kids roaring about on quad bikes nearly killing you.They leave the site eventually and looks like a war zone afterwards.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
My parents get quite a few travellers round where they live and have never had any bother with them. They keep themselves to themselves and only bother you when they are trying to sell something like good luck charms etc. If you were polite to them they were always polite back even if you didn't buy anything.

Unfortunately not all are like that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
its not fair to stereotype everybody the same, like has been said before there are good and bad in all communities
Emm, find me one, just one good one, one thats willing to PAY tax, one that has a LIGITIMATE job, one that doesnt leave a heap of filth wherever they stay and one that is not illegally parked on somebody elses land, if you can let me meet him, because my word, I could do with it, and I might change my opinion slightly.
Dawn.
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Some years ago I had contact with some just on the fringe of legality, they used a council provided travellers site, complete with washing and laundry facilities, for the time they were they were friendly law abiding people, unfortunately when a family would move on they didn't seem able to leave anything behind that wasn't screwed down, the copper form the wash rooms always went.

They paid a peppercorn rent while they were there, but the site on the whole was funded from the local council, obviously diverting money away from other local services.

If the decent ones were worried about there reputations they would distance them selves from the bad ones, I've yet to see this happen, I doubt there is a dividing line, if there is, its very blurred.
Rhianna
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Evening, sadley the "New Age Travellers" ahve given the genuien Romany gypsies a very bad press and a lot of peopel tend to lump them all togeather.
I do agree that to clean up the mess made by drunks and peopel who just dump their rubbish anywhere from fridges to fag packets cost just as much.
If you meet a genuien Romany you would very soon know the differance , I feal that the Romanies should have the right to live as their tradtions says, as for the New Agers if they want to drop out fine but drop the attitude as well.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree with you there. We had a genuine Gypsy living in the lane where I work, he was there for umpteen years, I used to spend hours talking to him, likewise the people who are on proper sites. Some time ago, I caught a HUGE Stallion that was tearing up and down the lane, took him to the kennels and rang the Police, by the end of the day 2 guys came to claim him, they lived on a registered site not far from us and they said the horse was purposely let loose. They bought us chocolates and were very grateful. These people are fine, just as you and me, pay taxes, don't scrounge, theive and leave a filthy mess, they hate the ones that do just as much.
Dawn.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
What laws would prevent this type of behaviour though? And how much would it cost to enforce?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 10:31 PM
But there are people who live the regular way, in houses, that scrounge, fly tip and make messes and live off welfare, ok so they live in a house with bills which is paid for by the govenrment, so what's the difference...The travellers are just easier to spot! I don't think it's the lifestyle it's just the individuals who would be this way however they lived.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
well to be honset as long at the travellers are respectful then i cant see a problem with them!
If they are not then they are not true travellers!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >