31-05-2011, 08:36 AM
How about an, "Oh, decided to be rude today?" back at her
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
"Yes, I'm the only one who trains my dog too"

Yes i was going to suggest something along these lines, like i don't want my dog bothering other dogs therefore i want to make sure his recall is good so i can call him back
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
How about an, "Oh, decided to be rude today?" back at her
I like it I like it a lot
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I've got a couple - got a couple of old ladies who walk their dogs on the field very near here that I go to occasionally (when it's not been raining because it rapidly becomes a swamp Shrek would be proud of when it has been) - one of them can be quite "rude" but it's just her saying the first thing that comes into her head - she's queried if the kids can understand my accent (my accent's fine - it's there but words get pronounced properly... unlike my husband - the only problem I ever have with it is with certain phonic digraphs where I've got to remember to pronounce them in the "local" way)... she's made comments about me picking a daft name for my dog as well... but not aggressively or maliciously - just making conversation.

The other one I DO have more problems with are the group I term the coven at another park. They're the sort who sneer at non "breed" dogs anyway (nevermind that I have the very rare wtfisit breed of dog!)... generally fine apart from the sneers at the shocking shaggy round the edges mongrel with a beard full of drool... but one of them started showboating (after I'd put Layton on the lead to try to work on his squirrel issues) about how cruel that woman was having the dog on the lead and he could be having no fun at all - blah blah blah. Funnily a few days later he was back off the lead - went towards her dog to say hello and I called him back because I didn't want him to - he came trotting meekly and sat in front of me, her dog followed and could she recall him - could she heck!

She's not made comments about my dog since!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:31 AM
How about a....

Honest answer?

I'm working on his recall as he used to charge up to anything with fourlegs & and left to his own devices could be a bit overwhelming.

or something.

Why the conflict?
Peace.

etc.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Agree with the others in that I don't think she's trying to be rude, she's just trying to make conversation.. awkwardly We've all done it one time or another!

I also agree about just giving an honest answer. 'Yes, I'm still not confident in his recall' when she asks why he's on a long lead and 'Yes, it's his treat for being so well behaved' when she comments that he's off lead

Honestly, I do think perhaps you're being a little bit picky I too have a dog who stays on a long line most of the time and any time someone makes a comment, it's usually because they're trying to be friendly but maybe going about it in a bit of an awkward way
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3