Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaloreyAnimal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2011, 02:28 AM

Anyone else ever have trouble?

When choosing a breed for your next dog?

There are so many different breeds I want, and I always change my mind on what my next dog will be. I always come across a dog breed that I find would be "perfect", or it's one I've had experience with and would like it, or it's another of a breed I've already owned.

For example, I want another Miniature Schnauzer as Simba was my first personal puppy and Miniature Schnauzers have turned into my heart breed. But then I'd also love a dog such as a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd who can (probably) excel in Agility and Flyball, and enjoy going on long walks/hikes. Then I see large guardian breeds who I'd also love to own, more so due to looks right now, but if I did go to that direction, of course I'd do more research than looks. THEN, I volunteer at the local shelter and of course always fall for dogs there, so I also want to adopt!

I suppose one day I'll be able to own each of these if seen fit, but it's just making the choice for my next dog right now.

I suppose we just have to see what comes around when the time comes.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 08:56 AM
oh god yes i do it all the time! i have a list of breeds that i would like to own and i flit between these few. my next dog will hopefully be arriving next year at some point, but im still unsure which one id pick. ive done enough research on all the breeds though, and already know which breeders id go to for a dog from each breed, ive met a couple of the breeders so think im doing it right i always look on the rescue sites too, and would have a fair few of them
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:08 AM
I am actively planning a pup (probs 2013/14) long way off...but doing my homework now.

I have narrowed down the breed (ASD, BSD, Munsterlander, ESS (working) or Cocker, again working)

My problem will be the same for many families. Finding a breeder/rescue who will sell to a home (no matter the experience) with children under 5
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I am actively planning a pup (probs 2013/14) long way off...but doing my homework now.

I have narrowed down the breed (ASD, BSD, Munsterlander, ESS (working) or Cocker, again working)

My problem will be the same for many families. Finding a breeder/rescue who will sell to a home (no matter the experience) with children under 5
i think the breeders are out there that will sell to families with children you just have to look for them
the woman i work for will let the puppies go to families. all hers have been raised around her children/grandchildren and she believes as long as all the other criteria are there (so someone home for most of the day) which is actually probably more true of stay at home mums, than a couple. one of the pups in the last litter went to a couple who had two children aged 4 and 2, and i thought it was lovely because the dog and children would grow up together
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I will be mainly at home (tho I hope to have one or two businesses (home based) and be training dogs for a living)

I would like the next one to be a pup (although we will always have at least one rescue around too!)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I will be mainly at home (tho I hope to have one or two businesses (home based) and be training dogs for a living)

I would like the next one to be a pup (although we will always have at least one rescue around too!)
i think breeders would be more likely to be a bit more relaxed about children than rescues. it also helps that you can normally visit the breeder as often as you want, take the kids with you, and that your kids are generally dog savvy and know how to be respectful. im sure you wont have too much trouble
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2011, 09:20 AM
There are many breeds I woudl love to own, have had a list for a few years, its chopped and changed (as I have discounted some breeds, or added some) but we have finally decided on what our next breed will be.

It wont be for a few years yet, but at this moment in time we have found the perfect breed to fit into our lives for the future,
So in the mean time I will be doing more research, speaking to people and researching bloodlines, what I like, what I dotn like and so on.

Don't worry , I will have another Boxer at some point, but we just feel for the near future, we need to have another breed.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
There are many breeds I woudl love to own, have had a list for a few years, its chopped and changed (as I have discounted some breeds, or added some) but we have finally decided on what our next breed will be.

It wont be for a few years yet, but at this moment in time we have found the perfect breed to fit into our lives for the future,
So in the mean time I will be doing more research, speaking to people and researching bloodlines, what I like, what I dotn like and so on.

Don't worry , I will have another Boxer at some point, but we just feel for the near future, we need to have another breed.
awww you not gonna spill what it is?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
awww you not gonna spill what it is?
Portuguese water dog
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:37 AM