Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Gutted

Jago has been at it again. Last week he got under the garden fence somehow and had a go at the neighbours dog. The neighbours were absolutely fine and said their dog was giving as good as he got but that's not the point, the point is that Jago felt as though he had to go under the fence to pick on their dog. I am just so disappointed. Jago is a hard work dog, he can be DA but not with all dogs. I thought the fence was secure, obviously not. Both dogs seemed fine and it was left at that, very amicable.
Last night the neighbour told me that they had had to take their dog to the vet as he developed an abcess behind his ear where Jago had cut him with his tooth. I was absolutely gutted. I apologised and offered to pay but they said they didn't want anything for it, they weren't mad etc but felt we needed to know. I made a tuggy toy for their dog and stuck it through their letter box with a note saying sorry.
I guess I just wanted to get it off my chest. I have tried so hard with Jago and it seems like I've got nowhere. We have built a run for Jago so now he'll definitely be contained when out in the garden. I am aware that I am to blame for this for not watching him carefully enough.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Well done for building a run. Is it all dogs or just the one next door?
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Not all dogs, a few dogs he particularly dislikes, including the one next door. Murphy is a big black lab who comes down with his head and tail up, very forward dog. He really just wants to play but Jago is very much a "I'll get you before you get me cos that's what it looks like you're going to do" type dog, after being repeatedly attacked by my FIL's JRT. Murphy is exactly the type of dog which Jago hates. I always thought he acted like that because he was scared but if that was the case, why squeeze under the fence to pick on him?!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
oh, that must be terrible. but well done for taking responsibility, and doing everything you can to prevent it happening again. your neighbours sound very understanding.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Dont feel so bad. You thought he was contained. He got through. Now you've taken steps to insure it wont happen again. Your neighbours sound lovely, makes a change to hear. See it as a blip, not a disaster. Big hugs to you.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't beat yourself up about it - you've done all you can, you've said sorry, built a run and even given them a wee present. Don't dwell on this incident too much, it's not going to happen again now you've go a run sorted and your neighbours have been very nice and understanding so at least you haven't fallen out with them over it.

I can understand you being upset about it though - chin up, things should be easier for you now at least you don't have to worry that he'll do the same thing again, now that he is contained