Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
it does make me worry a bit, it all sounds so complicated and increases my worry that I'll get something wrong........What type of bones would you suggest for a toy breed puppy? I have given him a chicken leg, I cut some of meat off and fed it separately and then gave him the main bone to chew on, which he loved. Do you think chicken wings would be ok in his case because he is so small?
I'm useless with breed knowledge - what's his physical size? His 1.3kg weight sounds like he's just over a bag of sugar?

If he can't get the wing into his mouth at all, then yes it would be ok - they just make me nervous because they bend, and I figure if they were swallowed whole, they could bend while going down and hence get stuck. Normally, if they swallow something too large, the stomach rejects it and it comes straight back up - I think a bendy wing wouldn't you see.

My puppy adores lamb or mutton ribs - she doesn't eat much of the bone even now, at 6 months but she adores them. You can buy a rack and with scissors just cut off one rib at a time. You can also serve bigger portions and just put the uneaten piece back in the fridge (wrapped in an old tea towel is better for the meat than in plastic) and serve at the next meal time.

I know what you mean about worrying in the beginning - I was petrified and thought my first puppy was going to keel over instantly from malnutrition or something! LOL he didn't of course, he developed amazing muscle mass whilst still looking trim.

Please don't worry - in our heads it's complicated, although the reality is that it's incredibly simple.

If you follow a 82% meat/10% bone/8% offal approximate guideline, you'll be on the perfect diet for him. You don't need to worry about anything else if you have those percentages right - all the nourishment info M Morgan talks about is background info for people who "need to know" that sort of stuff. Everything she says applies to all puppies of all sizes - although since he's so small, maybe the weaning puppy bit at the end will be of most relevance for you.

Evie - yes, I belong to the Yahoo Rawfeeding group and also the Yahoo RawPup group - is it ok to post the links here? I think it would be useful for Mother*Ship to join and talk to other toy breed raw feeders.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Evie - yes, I belong to the Yahoo Rawfeeding group and also the Yahoo RawPup group - is it ok to post the links here? I think it would be useful for Mother*Ship to join and talk to other toy breed raw feeders.
Dogsey doesn't allow links to other forums; but if anyone is interested in joining the rawfeeding or rawpup yahoo groups; They can go to yahoo and click on "groups" and do a search for them on there. Should be easy enough to find... I hope.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys, I've joined both!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Thanks guys, I've joined both!
Great stuff!
Even if you never post on there, the archives alone are choc o bloc full of valuable info.
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Just wanted to add that we started our sheltie puppy on chicken wings, but we chop them in half at the bend at the moment, so if your pup is small enough you might be able to to that, avoiding the possibility of the bend part getting stuck.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2