View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I consider we are quite lucky in my breed...although we breed for the show ring a dog should also be able to do the work it was originally bred for.
Nikki
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I couldnt really tell you the collie standard, but I think they tend to like simetrical markings on show dogs is that true? so with that in mind I can see why a farmer rolls with laughter at show collies, but my point is, show breeders should really keep in mind what the dog was intended for rather than evenly marked dogs x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I would also say i noticed the show collies to be a tad short in the body, runs,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I couldnt really tell you the collie standard, but I think they tend to like simetrical markings on show dogs is that true? so with that in mind I can see why a farmer rolls with laughter at show collies, but my point is, show breeders should really keep in mind what the dog was intended for rather than evenly marked dogs x

THE STANDARD SAYS....Colour
Variety of colours permissible. White should never predominate

Sometime symetrical colour is preferable as assymetrical can give optical illusions and make a dogs construction 'look' wrong
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Reading through this thread it seems we all agree that dogs bred for the show ring are usless at doing the jobs they were originally intended to do.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Reading through this thread it seems we all agree that dogs bred for the show ring are usless at doing the jobs they were originally intended to do.
Oof

The Springer debate hit this point and it all got a bit ugly

There's differences
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Oof

The Springer debate hit this point and it all got a bit ugly

There's differences
What are the differences then Phil, are Springers bred for the ring no good at gun work ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Except for sled dogs (of the many sledding breeds) they seem to be unaffected, except for the few that just cant be bothered
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2008, 12:22 AM
What are the differences then Phil, are Springers bred for the ring no good at gun work ?
I'm not biting LOL

All I'll say is...............

If you go on a 'shoot' you'll find most Springers are shorter in the leg and lighter in the body.

It's all about length X height.

Show Springers are bigger on the whole but tend to have a taller height against length ratio.

It's not that a 'show' springer is no good at working but the physical attributes that 'working folk' value, tend not to be the attributes that the breed standard 'encourages'

I can only go back to your original point and say the breed standard fits show dogs but isn't the 'proven choice' frame for most working spaniels.

What do you think about the 'new' diplomatic Phil eh !
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 12:27 AM
With that said Phil, just out of interest, which of the two closest matches the Breed Standard ?
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »