View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I think dogs of any breed should be bred not only for the correct conformation, but for the correct temperament too. Many breeds today have had their temperament altered to suit a pet life or showring life, to me its unnacceptable. Dobermanns that have soft, docile temperaments, that will not protect their owners, many Terrier breeds that would leg it at the scent of a Fox etc.. saddens me greatly.
Dawn.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I did see on another forum a while ago a picture of a working Rottie the breeder breeds them for work, and it was so much leaner than the than the rotts I have seen around. It did look a very athletic dog.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I think dogs of any breed should be bred not only for the correct conformation, but for the correct temperament too. Many breeds today have had their temperament altered to suit a pet life or showring life, to me its unnacceptable. Dobermanns that have soft, docile temperaments, that will not protect their owners, many Terrier breeds that would leg it at the scent of a Fox etc.. saddens me greatly.
Dawn.
We think alike Dawn , I had 3 dobes many years ago, the first one we had was an allrounder, he could clear a six foot fence and was so very protective to us.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dawn.

I agree Dawn.

I wonder how many of the border collies you see in a show ring could do a morning's gathering on a heather-clad hillside, or work tirelessly all day in the pens. There may be one or two, I don't know, but I bet the majority couldn't I would prefer to see that the majority COULD and that it was the minority that couldn't.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I dont see the point in breeding for one thing, I breed for show, work and temprament, I guess I do my best to breed to standard, x
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I dont see the point in breeding for one thing, I breed for show, work and temprament, I guess I do my best to breed to standard, x
Exactly
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2008, 04:44 PM
You just have to look at the Siberian judging on the website for the westminster show, the dogs looked more suitable for sitting at the bottom of your bed stuffed with your pyjamas than running the trail, I have never seen such an unfit, flabby, short legged bunch of Sibes.

Thankfully over here most of the dogs you see in the ring are middle of the road and capable of doing a good days work, though you still do see some too short and heavy or others too lean and racey. Interesting though there are dogs bred over here that are now racing distances in Canada and others bred in Alaska now over here racing our shorter distances.

My Loona's sire came over from Alaska, he had ran many races over there including the Iditarod and he adapted well to running the shorter distances over here.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Absolutely and everyone should.

The breed standard also includes what a breeds temperament should be like, as BD said, some were not bred to be docile pets and they should be kept that way
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree Dawn.

I wonder how many of the border collies you see in a show ring could do a morning's gathering on a heather-clad hillside, or work tirelessly all day in the pens. There may be one or two, I don't know, but I bet the majority couldn't I would prefer to see that the majority COULD and that it was the minority that couldn't.
I think Border Collies are one of the biggest examples of this. And it's such a shame, because I think with them it would be possible to breed dogs who could do both. There are other breeds who have working show dogs, but that is practically unknown. I think it's partly because both sides are unwilling to try a bit of the other

There are still some show border collies with the drive to work sheep, and I think it would be such a shame if this died out and the breed's two sides separated further. It could be so easily changed and yet I just don't see that happening, sadly
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Does anyone in this country work Aussie Shepherds ??
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »