Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-03-2005, 09:05 AM

Pulling on the lead

Hi i have a 5month old pup..and when i take him for walks sometimes he gets very weird and pulls on his lead and just does not want to walk anymore or walk a different way too where i want to walk him, is there any tips you can give me? is it just a thing he'll learn with age?
thank you in advance
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Try him on a lupi harness there really good and train your dog to walk correctly.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 10:55 AM
I was told to walk backwards everytime my dog pulled. Okay I discovered muscles I never knew I had and it used to take us an hour to walk around the block but it solved the problem and now I can walk my dog without having my arms wrenched from their sockets
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 11:00 AM
everytime he pulls just stop. buying one of those leads that clips round ur waist is good, cos if u pull back on a normal lead then the dog will pull the other way!
For the first couple of weeks ur walks will seem to take forever, but if u never allow ur dog to pull by stopping he soon learns that pulling doesnt get him anywhere fast. Try giving him treats when hes not pulling, but stop to give him the treat.
clicker training works quite well : http://www.clickandtreat.com/ or just type in clicker training into google.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 12:17 PM
i also found stopping worked well he used to get bored just standing there and soon learnt that if he pulled me i sopped i also used to word 'slowly' if he gets a bit quick and i start to slow like i am going to stop and he quickly slows so i dont stand still!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Either method will work.

You can turn and walk in another direction or you can come to a dead stop and wait until your dog isn't pulling before you move again. Whichever you use, use it all the time and you'll see results.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I think i will try just stopping and waiting till he is ok..also when i let him of the lead and there is people around he has a mind off his own im sure he know's his name but only listens to it when he wants to! i dont want him wondering off all over the place when he is off the lead can any1 suggest anything?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 01:25 PM
sorry gonna copy and paste some advice i put on another thread about offlead

u could try a whistle recall? i have found with my girl that if my voice changes to really concerned cos shes runnin toward another dog or a road she will run faster away and not come back.

A whistle recall is a good tool cos then the dog doesnt pick up on ur anger or anxiety thru the tone of ur voice.

ok im crap at explainin so gonna extract bits from a book im reading
sorry i jus read this today and thought it was really good advice...

buy urself a whistle. Arrange that part of the dogs daily food ration should be given in the form of tit-bits, so that they can be offered a dozen or so times a day. whenever u want to give ur dog a tit-bit, first blow on the whistle, but do not say anything. Do the same when u feed him the remains of food. After a few days u can try blowing on the whistle when ur dog is in the garden and u are in the house. .
i think its called a precondition response

daily food ration: tit-bits are fine for training most dogs, but usually they are given over and above what is of prime importance to ur dog-its daily food ration. in some cases a well fed dog my find this extra food less of an incentive because he is reguarly satiated. With dogs that exhibit problem recalls theres a technique used that takes this into account. split the daily food allowance into ten equal portions and during the walk the dog gets a tenth of its food for each instant recall. If it does not respond straight away, that portion is put to one side and is thrown away when u get home. its estimated that on day one, most dogs earn about 3 or 4 tenths of their daily food ration. on day 2, being that extra bit hungry, they probably earn about six or seven tenths. By the end of the week they are earning it all. it really does work providing the owner is prepared not to weaken his resolve that the only way the dog will be fed is by earning its ration.

I would keep him on a long line for a little while and recall him several times on the walk, reward when he comes to u and let him go play again, that way he wont associate coming back to you as the end of the walk. It also means that u can gently persuade him to u if hes lookin at u like 'wot the hell', so he has to come to u. i dont mean drag him to u,lol, but gently coax him to u using the lead as an aid so he knows he has to come to u.

u can also put the lead back on several times during the walk and keep letting him back off to keep him thinking so he doesnt kno when the walk is over.

also, a good site for questions you might have: http://www.dogbehaviour.com/behaviou...s/indexdog.htm
Carole
Supervisor

21-03-2005, 02:35 PM
we used the stopping method everytime Star pulled. It worked but was not an instant fix. Now we just get the occasional lunge if she smells something.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Hello

The stop/start, walk backwards, change direction, are all good methods for teaching that pulling does not pay. However, you need to pick just one method and stick with it, do not chop & change. It can take a long time to get the message across, so you need the patience of a saint

Also you said that your pup sometimes seems not to want to walk. I was just wondering how long your walks are? If you are walking on-lead for more than half an hour it is much more than a puppy of 5 months needs.

If you do a search on Dogweb for 'recall' you will find a lot of information
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >