View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
i feel,that there were times of being ,to intence with some dogs.stopping the game became more difficult,so i got rid of it,and never did it agian, and felt there was not much benifite...iv used other means to achieve what some are saying here..never rally looked at it as a positive tool..thanks to all for your reponces
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
All of mine play tug.

With the collies this is their main reward, their highest value toy in life, what they would do anything for. I teach almost every aspect of agility with a tuggy, when they finish a round they drive on to their tuggy and return to me for a game.
I let my male win 90% of the time, he lacks confidence sometimes and winning the tuggy really does increase this, it also makes him want it even more the next game we play.

My bitch lacks self control so I dont let her win as much, but use it as a tool/aid for self control exercises too.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Both mine love playing tuggy!
They also both have good release "thank you", tugging is how I taught Hocus to give.

I use tuggy to get focus on me, Hocus can be very interested in people (thinks EVERYONE wants to hug him) and I use tuggy as praise for walking nicely with me or if I want to really praise him for a good recall, like earlier when there was a load of ducks flapping infront of him.

He sees it as more of a reward than food and if I let him win he immediately brings it to me and wants to play more.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I play tuggy, with rules. It is a great way to teach the give command, and the take command, along with the hold it command. Ollie loves the game and is always listening for what I will say to do next, I believe it teaches them to focus on you and allow you to decide how they should behave at any given time with just one word in other situations.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Tuggy is great but like ALL games, only if you a) have rules b) both of you know them and c) both of you stick to them!

The best DVD I have ever seen on How to play tug is by Michael Ellis via Leerburg, all 5 hours of it.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 11:42 PM
thanks,i will look that up.interesting stuff.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Tuggy is great but like ALL games, only if you a) have rules b) both of you know them and c) both of you stick to them!

The best DVD I have ever seen on How to play tug is by Michael Ellis via Leerburg, all 5 hours of it.
and i thought i got obsessive!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
i feel,that there were times of being ,to intence with some dogs.stopping the game became more difficult,so i got rid of it,and never did it agian, and felt there was not much benifite...iv used other means to achieve what some are saying here..never rally looked at it as a positive tool..thanks to all for your reponces
I try and make it like a reward
So a often my tugging is like
a trick - then the sec they do the trick I give them the tug and say 'tug tug tug'
Then 'give' then right away I chuck the toy and they bring it back to do the next trick to get the next tug

I find its like training with treats
If you just leave food lying about most dogs would take it
BUT
if your dog is training and working for treats they will ignore an open pot of treats on the floor and look to you for what you want them to do to get a treat

so its the same with the tug, if you make it something they can earn then it becomes better for them to have to earn it rather than get it for free - so less going OTT with it
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2012, 12:19 AM
My dog learned to play tug as a v young pup before I got him to correct an underbite in his jaw. He loves to play tug and although everyone was so down on me for doing it I've used it to a) work off some of that puppy energy before he was allowed out, b) teach bite inhibition c) teach give and d) teach him that giving up a toy results in fun games with a different toy, a treat or cuddles. I've found it a really useful educational tool. It didn't correct his underbite though which is why he came to live with me instead of in a show home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 08:52 AM
re Winning...
If a dog gets too enthusiastic (rough) I let go. Now to us that`s `winning` but to the dog that`s the end of a nice game. So she stops being rough. Simples!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >