View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 05:31 PM
My boy is quite gentle when we play tug and will let go when I tell him to so I see no reason not to play it with him.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
ok ,how about an aggresive dog, any thoughts? ,taking away the tug game, for me, has improved some dogs ,on the way they interact with humans and other dogs. along with other traing iv found it to be usefull to get rid of it.
The control of 'giving' a favourite toy during an exciting game gives both self-control and gives the owner control too as they are the one who ends the game by asking for the 'give'

However, of course, this is only true if the dog is trained to give the toy when asked. It's easy to train and good fun
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
One thought, you wouldn't introduce a tug game to a dog that was showing aggression to the person who was going to play it. You really need trust on both sides
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
good stuff..keep it comming..
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Favourite all time game - and it is a game - not a competition. Will release when told, is super careful - doesn't want you to stop playing, and only plays it with his toys.

Plus one to the trust on both sides, as long as it is a game & the rules are obeyed, don't see a problem.

Can think of one dog I wouldn't have played it with though.

Edit: She was a bit unpredictable, had a tendency to guard random stuff and Zero bite inhibition. That'd be a "trust" fail then
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I think it is a fabulous game. As others have said the dog learns a lot of self-control and can be brought down from high arousal quickly. What I like about it is the dog has to be close to the handler to play it (unlike chasing a ball) and it can be played whilst the dog is on the lead. I can also use the lead as the tuggy if I wish to reward the dog and have no treats or toys on me.

So long as the dog is taught the rules and abides by them I cannot see the problem.

Polo loves his tug toy, it is by far his favorite game and if he is getting worked up (dogs in too close proximity)and stressed playing tug is an appropriate way to rid him of frustration. Even when very aroused he is very accurate and does not catch my fingers.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
You ask about aggressive dogs but don't say in what circumstances.

I think if the dog finds tugging over stimulating and gets aggressive or overally competitive, then it may not be a great idea for that specific dog. But I don't think tugging makes a dog any more aggressive in general, I think its a good outlet.

Cain is aggressive towards strangers and dogs but I happily play tug with him. I think as long as it is played with rules like Give, then I see no issue with it. I also let him win on occassion and I don't think it's made him feel "dominant" as some people would say.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
ok ,how about an aggresive dog, any thoughts? ,taking away the tug game, for me, has improved some dogs ,on the way they interact with humans and other dogs. along with other traing iv found it to be usefull to get rid of it.
Daisy (human aggressive) transferred her drive on to Play. So the excitement of the game became an outlet for her. A substitute if you like.
She gets such pleasure from ballie play. I nearly always use a ball on a rope because it is more versatile.
I train her with the ball on a rope. It is a lure, a reward and a scent article. She is focussed on it and will ignore anything else if I show her the ball. This has allowed me to change her behaviour.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I play tug with both mine, and they also will sometimes play together. It sounds quite bad, there's a lot of growling and snarling involved, but it is all definitely in play, and as soon as one "wins" they are both quite happy.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Chloe loves tug games but I guess she doesn't like to 'win' because it means I might not play any more. If she does win she immediately pushes the object into my hands in the hope the game will continue .
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »