Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Obsession?

Is obessive behaviours in dogs a good thing?

For example making the dog ball obsessed for training purposes.

Adam
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Only if a) you can control the source of it and b) you have an on and off switch for your dog.

EG my GSD is totally ball obsessed, most of this is genetic, but I made him an adrenalin junkie, however if I say "that will do" he switches off and tootles along on his walk,
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Obsession is never a good thing in my opinion.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Depends what you mean by obsession. For her own safety, I want my dog to rate chasing balls higher than chasing rabbits, for example, but I want her to be able to enjoy a walk without necessarily needing the ball, or to give up the ball and do something else.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
To get to the top of the tree in most disciplines a dog has to have a degree of obsession with something........... IME
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
To get to the top of the tree in most disciplines a dog has to have a degree of obsession with something........... IME
Is this really 'obsession' though or driven by tapping into something which comes naturally?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
The dictionary definition of obsess:

verb (used with object)
1. to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally: Suspicion obsessed him.
–verb (used without object)
2. to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something.

I don't think most dogs you would say were ball 'obsessed' are technically the definition of obsessive, because the ball surely doesn't dominate all of their thoughts all of the time. It is an object that they only react to when it is physically there (or know is coming).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Only if a) you can control the source of it and b) you have an on and off switch for your dog.

EG my GSD is totally ball obsessed, most of this is genetic, but I made him an adrenalin junkie, however if I say "that will do" he switches off and tootles along on his walk,
Totally agree.

It can be a life saver for some dogs.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:58 PM

I would agree with this. All our best workers (sheepdogs) are totally obsessed with the job in hand and with herding - but all do have an off switch (so long as they have had sufficient work to tire them)
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
IMO no obsession is good, normal or healthy ~ but there's a difference between an enjoyable habit (when a dog usually gets to chase a ball on a walk but can switch off & do other things too) & obsession where it does nothing else but obsess/think about/get fixated on, a ball & continually worries for it.

Sometimes, if the ball is removed, dogs wil find something else, like a stick or stone, to use & try to "tempt" the owner into throwing it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >