Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2005, 06:16 PM

Recall... Help me PEOPLES!!!

ok my pup is 7months old goes totally deaf when hes off the lead so ive decided enough is enough, so ive made a rope about 30meters long and my plan is 2take him out and walk him and after about 5mins call him im sure he wont come so i reel him in like a fish tell him 2sit and give him a treat then let him walk call him he wont come and then reel him in and sit him down and give him a treat etc is this a good method peoples and do ya'll have any tips? thanku 4 any replies good replies will recive rep points (hint hint) i bet foxy replies now
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2005, 06:19 PM
I've just posted this link on another thread - it worked brilliantly for me and Molo:

Line training
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Here's a thread that might shed some light on the selective deafness thing...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Have you read this: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=8049
lovestaffsblu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi, yes that is a good method for training them to come.
I was on holiday with my at the time only 2 dogs. Lily was a puppy and as I was walking back to my caravan a old man stopped me, saying she was lovely. He was a teacher in a dog training school and gave me hints & tips. He said the long rope was the best way. But dont give treats as much, praise him alot, dogs want the love of his owner he said.
Hope things work for you.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I think that the important thing that the dog learns with this is that it doesn't have the option to get used to ignoring you. If you are trying to teach recall when they are free and they don't come after one or two calls they realise that they can ignore you and you can't do anything about it and so they begin to learn that coming back is optional!...With the long line if they ignore after the first call then you give it a bit of a tug enough to let them know they will have to come back when called, once they get used to comming back everytime the optional thought process should become a thing of the past...Good luck with the training..I am going to be trying the same thing with my two, hope we both have good success with it
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Sorry to say, but I´m not for the long line training.
Most dogs will soon learn when the line is on and when its not.

The annoying part most hate to hear, is that when something fails, an exercise we thought we had taght our dog isnt working, it is often because we have taken the easy way out, not made sure our dog either fully understands it, didnt keep practecing it, or didnt made sure it was consistent and caught the disobedient before getting out of control.

That way, we end up with "the deaf dog". Annoying and makes us frustrated.

As long as your dog isnt older than what you say, I would take training steps back and start training recall again as if it was 8 weeks old.
Make sure you have succes all the time and dont put your dog in positions you cant control.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Abbas_786
.... so ive made a rope about 30meters long....
Make sure that if you do choose to use it you put some spaced out knots in the rope cause if he decided to run like the wind if you try and hold the rope it might burn you hands. If you have knots in it you can put your foot on it and the rope won’t slip under you shoe. Good luck with the training

Sarah xxxx
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Jake developed "selective hearing" at 10 months old I just went back to basics training. By this I mean I would train him even whilst watching TV! I would sit there with a bag of his treats and everytime an advert came on TV i'd say Jakey come, if he came without hesitation he got a treat. I did this for about a week then did the same in my back garden. When he came everytime without fail in the back garden I took him to a local field really early in the morning when there were no distractions or other dogs around and started the process again. Once he was coming everytime without fail I added the distractions/other dogs to the equation and believe it or not it worked.

Every time I say Jakey come he thinks he's going to get sausage or cheese. You should see him fly towards me This may not be the correct or technical way to train a recall but I get strangers come up and compliment me on how well trained Jake is, so it worked for us!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Recall was the very first thing (after her name of course) that Luna was taught.

I dogsit a gsd, Bella, and her recall is - put mildly - not working very well. So I've taken the consequences of that, and Bella is no longer loose, when I walk her. And believe me, she knows exactly where the line ends..

As she's not my dog, I aint gonna work with her, as her owner isnt really good at keeping it up.

As AMTS said, I would go back and start all over.... Do u have a little closed area, where he cant really run that far away from you and you wont be disturbed by other dogs?