Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-05-2005, 10:58 AM

HUGE problem???

My cousins 7week old bitch BITES! and not a play bite she actullay attacks and tries 2bite! I was at his house yesterday and went into the backyard where she was she's seen me more than a few times so im not a stranger at all 2her, she ran up to me and was ok for about 10secs and then jumped up and tried 2snip me and i tought o ok shes prolly playing didnt take much notice then she gripped my jeans i pulled her off and while i was doing this she bit my hand and cut it! i still tought ok maybe i did something to make her do this maybe shes scared etc then my cousin came out i told him what happened and he said shes been like this for a few weeks. He tired 2put her on a lead and she bit him 2! i was with her for about 1hour and she must have tired to bite me at every chance she got! luckly she is still small and u can push her away etc very easily but whens shes older this will be a HUGE problem he does tell her NO very firmly when she does it but she doesnt take any notice at all. can any1 help im very worried for him and the pup i am 100% she bites on purpose maybe to show she is stronger than you? its not out of fear etc
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:03 AM
With the pup only being 7 wks she needs to learn that playing or biting in that manner is not acceptable some of which she would have learnt from her littermates if she was with them longer. we had this problem with our rottie pup but when saying 'NO' didnt work or distraction with a toy, we used a spray bottle with some water to get him to let go when he didnt respond to the verbal warning and then if he carried on he had 'time out' for abit. My arms arent nearly as cut up now! hope this helps someone with more knowledge will put me right

edited to add...also we had a problem with people encouraging him to bite, for example if he was mouthing they would wiggle their hands in his mouth and obviously making bronson think it was ok to bite...so i'd suggest that he stops people doing this as it made things alot harder for us. As you said its ok when their small, even though those needle teeth hurt! make sure she has lots of things she can chew to divert her attention esp when she is teething
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

17-05-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm no expert - but I don't think at 7 weeks that a pup bites deliberatley - Barney was very bad when he was young pup for mouthing abd biting but now he is fine - we were told to whine if he hurt us and this worked because when we made the noise he would stop but if he was over excited and that didn't work then time out always did because it gave him the chance to calm down.

I would wait for Shadowboxer to come on because she always has great advice on training matters
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:14 AM
You say the pup is seven weeks old and
he said shes been like this for a few weeks.
how old was she when they got her ?
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-05-2005, 11:17 AM
when he got her she was 4weeks even on the 1st day i can remember her trying 2have a snip but shes doing it all the time now which is worrying
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

17-05-2005, 11:18 AM
4 weeks is far too young - what was the reason he got her at that age?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:18 AM
at 7 weeks old its just play biting. some pups are rougher than others.
your friend needs to put the pup on a timeout for 2 minutes every time she does it so she learns that the behaviour is unacceptable.

puppies will bite, rip ur jeans, nip ur face anything. i wouldnt say its anything to worry about and as long as ur friend approaches it the right way he will be able to stop it before she is fully grown
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:19 AM
4 weeks is much too young to take a pup away from it's mum surely ?
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:19 AM
4 wks is very young to take a pup from its mother.....i wouldnt have taken such a young pup and would be inclined to report the breeder
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-05-2005, 11:27 AM
sorry i cant speak for my cousin i did tell him it is to young but he seemed pretty sure it will be ok the breeder is not from england.. i got my pup when hes was 9weeks he didnt "play bite" he does now at 6months and i have tested the limit with him by letting him snip and he will never ever try 2cut skin which she does that is my main concern. And from watching her for 1hour yesterday im 90% sure she was not "playing" when she did this. She growled and barked alot when i told her NO! i will tell him 2use the spraying water and see how it goes.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >