View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
OssettWhites
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2006, 10:52 PM

Bedtime Advice (puppy crying at night when left alone)

Hi everyone

We've just become the proud owners of Jasper, a gorgeous Blue Roan Cocker (just over 8 weeks old at present).

Jasper comes from working stock & spent the first 8 weeks of his life 'outside'.

We always planned to keep him in an external environment & created what we feel is a perfect home.

He has only been with us for 3 nights, but they have been getting worse for Jasper, crying for hours on end when we put him away for the night.

We don't want to let him stay indoors fora short time in fear of him getting used to an 'internal' environment.

We have given him his own soft friend which he carries round all day & takes with him to bed and have also put a number of stuffed socks into his house but he cries himself hoarse.

Whilst we realise that its going to take a while for him to adjust, has anyone got any advice on what else we can do to minimise the distress that he's going through at the moment?

Any advice given will be truely appreciated.

Cheers

Mick
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi,

May I ask why you want to keep him outside ?

Just because he comes from working stock, doesn't mean to say that at just over eight weeks, he has "working stock blood in him"

He is still only a baby, he's frightened, that's why he's crying at night.

We had this type of thread a while ago and the majority of us feel that a dog should be indoors at the heart of the family.

A few said that their dogs were kept outside because they are of the husky type breed, yours isn't.

Also, you said that you planned to keep him in an external environment, but with the best will in the world, plans do not always take shape.

I realise that you've probably built/bought him a nice snug house, but dogs are sociable animals and all he really want to do, is be in your company, where he feels safe in, what to him, is a big world.

That's just my advice and opinion, it was not meant to offend in any way.

Regards

Radar
OssettWhites
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the response Radar - no offence was taken.

To answer your initial question, there are two reasons; 1 - as both his parents are working dogs, they have lived outside all their lives, we feel that he is best suited to outdoors. 2 - by having his own 'house', he can retreat there whenever he wants 'to get away'.

As we said in our post, your advice is wholly appreciated, plus, like you covered in your response, plans don't always add up - we're more than open to change.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Your puppy has had a huge upheaval in his life. He has been taken from his mother, his litter-mates, all the familiar sights, sounds, smells, people that he knew. He is in a strange environment with unfamiliar people, sights, sounds, smells, etc. He is crying because he is lonely and frightened.

Do you have anything (blanket or rug) from his old home that smells of his dam and litter-mates? This might comfort him while he settles into the new life. If not, have you tried putting an unwashed item of your clothing into his bed? An old t-shirt, vest or jumper that has your scent on it may help. A well wrapped warm hot-water bottle can be comforting (the danger with this is that he may chew it), as can a ticking clock or a radio left on low volume for him. A safe soft toy to snuggle up to can also be a comforter.

Even if you wish to have an 'outdoor' dog it is a good idea to allow him inside for some period during the day/evening. This will help enormously with the bonding process and you can teach him to lay quietly beside your chair on his own rug. It is also useful to house-train an outside dog just in case, for whatever reason, he may at some stage have to spend periods of time in a house.
nichola
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Awww thats a shame you said he has been living outside for the first 8 weeks of his life that maybe so, but not on his own he has been with his mum and litter mates, I take it you are going to use jasper as a working dog too and thats why you want him to live outside, like Radar has said he may not have "working stock blood in him". Bring him in and give him a cuddle.
bagoratz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by OssettWhites
Thanks for the response Radar - no offence was taken.

To answer your initial question, there are two reasons; 1 - as both his parents are working dogs, they have lived outside all their lives, we feel that he is best suited to outdoors. 2 - by having his own 'house', he can retreat there whenever he wants 'to get away'.

As we said in our post, your advice is wholly appreciated, plus, like you covered in your response, plans don't always add up - we're more than open to change.
I personally think you need to re-think the situation - dogs are pack animals and thrive in company (normally!) You have a little baby who has never been away from Mum or his littermates and he's been put outside on his own in a completely unfamiliar environment - I think I'd be pretty beside myself as well!!

We picked up our second Cocker at the weekend - she is from working parents and spent the first 12 weeks of her life outside with the rest of the litter but this has made no difference to us

Bring the dog inside!!! I'm sorry but I have very strong views on this - if you want a pet that is to be kept outside - get a rabbit!

Also - have you owned a working cocker before? More importantly you need to think about exercise and stimulation for this type of gundog breed - they are highly energetic and require lots of stimulation and lots of exercise - when he is older give some thought to some 'sport' such as agility etc - I am sure he will be great at it!

Finally you spoke of Jasper having a 'home' or somewhere for him to retreat to? - personally I would buy a crate - get one big enough to house him and some toys and also hang a big sheet or blanket over the sides and back to create a 'den' like appearance - in my experience they love it - it's their own little personal bit of space that they feel safe in and really helps with toilet training overnight as well

Let us know how you get on
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Speaking from our experience with Jake, he is very attached to being around people and our attempts to get him to sleep in the kitchen as a pup were quickly doomed. His bed has been in our bedroom since about the 3rd day we had him!

He came from a similar sounding environment to your pup. His sire is a working dog and the breeder kept the litter in a stable on the farm they have. They did 'acclimatise' him to the inside of their house before he came to us, but this was only on a short visit basis. None the less, he only settled into his routine when he got the message through to us that he needed his 'pack' around him. P'raps your pup has a similar disposition.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by rich c
Speaking from our experience with Jake, he is very attached to being around people and our attempts to get him to sleep in the kitchen as a pup were quickly doomed. His bed has been in our bedroom since about the 3rd day we had him!

He came from a similar sounding environment to your pup. His sire is a working dog and the breeder kept the litter in a stable on the farm they have. They did 'acclimatise' him to the inside of their house before he came to us, but this was only on a short visit basis. None the less, he only settled into his routine when he got the message through to us that he needed his 'pack' around him. P'raps your pup has a similar disposition.
Rich,

My Labador Mick was in mine and my late hubby's bedroom from day 1 (or should I say night 1) he's 12 now and he's still there, I like to have him there, he's always had his own bed and he's always settled down nicely.

Regards

Radar
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Our pup has slept in a crate in our bedroom from day one and only cried alittle the first few nights only for about 5mins then settled for the night and now he only cries if he needs to go out. I am sure having us near by has paid a large part in him settling so well. If it is possible I would recomend having your pup live indoors I am sure he will be much happier to be nearer to his pack, i.e. you!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Eight weeks is very young to be shut away by itself. The poor thing is properly terrified.

But if you wont have it in the House, I would leave a radio on, Maybe a hot water Bottle(Not Boiling Water) wrapped in towel etc.

Make his sleeping place a happy place for him. Feed him there play, with him there just make it a place he wants to be.

Does he have excess to the House in the Day?

I have working breeds, that lived outside before coming to me and they now live in House with no problem .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >