Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Pedigree dogs cost more in rescue

I was wondering if the members involved in Rescue Centres could answer me some queries I have
Since the RSPCA's recent campaign against Pedigree Dogs I have been wondering why they charge more for a rehoming fee for Pedigree than Mongrels
Can anyone tell me why and if other rescue centres do this Thanks
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:13 PM
how much more are we talking and whats a normal aksing price for a mongeral at the RSPCA?

This is one of the reason I don't support the RSPCA because their supposed to be a none proffit organisation.

I can see their reasoning.

Though bare in mind todays pedigrees do go for hundreds of pounds but I dont think its right that a famous organisation should be selling pedigree for more then mongerals.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2012, 08:14 PM
A set fee is the norm .
I have only seen a difference if the dog is in foster and that can be a little more to take care of transport cost ..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
how much more are we talking and whats a normal aksing price for a mongeral at the RSPCA?

This is one of the reason I don't support the RSPCA because their supposed to be a none proffit organisation.

I can see their reasoning.

Though bare in mind todays pedigrees do go for hundreds of pounds but I dont think its right that a famous organisation should be selling pedigree for more then mongerals.
how can see you see there reasoning? in their eyes a dog is a dog.. you would think the way they are going on about us breeding pedigrees and damaging them because of looks, they would charge less for them seeing as pedigrees seem to have monsterous health problems and we would have to pay all those vet bills......
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
i have seen smaller rescues charging more for pedigrees, my experience has been they charge far more for a cute puppy then a little less for a dog under 12 months then smaller amount for older dog and then for an old dog say round the 9+ a very small amount.
the rescue i worked in latterly charged more for a desirable pedigree(rspca) eg pug, husky, rough collie, dogue de bordeaux, bullmastiff, think they charge more because people are willing to pay more, its still a lot less than they would pay for a pedigree pup.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Pedigrees were more expensive than mutts at the shelter I got Rupert from. Rupe and the other mutts were £55, pedigrees and puppies were £75. Not a huge difference and I just assumed it was because pedigree dogs and puppies were more desirable and people were prepared to pay a bit more.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Here is an example of RSPCA prices re Pedigree v Mongral--- http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk...and-conditions
so thats why I was wondering if it was the Norm. Also Clo I am on your wavelength as I do not know why they want to charge more for Pedigree after what they say about them being Mutants etc... The mutants are obviously more financially better for them though-so a bit hypoocritical on their part imo
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Quite a bit difference in price. Anyone know if these prices are throughout all their branches??
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Here is an example of RSPCA prices re Pedigree v Mongral--- http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk...and-conditions
so thats why I was wondering if it was the Norm. Also Clo I am on your wavelength as I do not know why they want to charge more for Pedigree after what they say about them being Mutants etc... The mutants are obviously more financially better for them though-so a bit hypoocritical on their part imo
thats what i mean.. surely if they are as unhealthy as they make out, then they should charge less, because of all these vet bills we have to pay... they say cresteds suffer because they have no hair... asbo has never had a problem, and never been to a vet either. my nana's papillon has never had a problem, not related to his breeding, he hurt his leg once but that was from a dodgy jump.

id have no problem paying for a dog from a rescue, but i dont think they should charge more for a pedigree, not when they criticise them so much.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I dunno, I can see the sense in rescues charging more for the more desirable dogs in a way. They need funds to carry on rescuing and if they can get more money for a dog then why not?

It does seem very hypocritical of the RSPCA to charge more for the dogs they criticise so much though.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »