Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolor

In the UK I think that if a dog is too barbered and trimmed it is penalised, particularly the gun-dogs.

Rip's replyNot so in the English Springer, until recently dogs with masses of coat did all the winning. Thankfully now the fashion has died away though and the coats are getting back to reasonable levels in respect to the dogs original job.

Aerolor's responseSo are you saying Rip that unless the show springer is heavily barbered and trimmed it will not win. Surely it would be preferable to breed for a show dog with a coat at a reasonable level, rather than to have to alter it to suit so that it can win

You go on to say below that a gundog should look functional and workmanlike regardless of if it is worked or not - this does not seem to be the case with show springers, both in UK and USA. I would be asking "why not" - and say they should not be winning if their coat is not right in the first place and has to be heavily barbered and worked on to get it to what it should be. I am a little confused.
-------------------

What worries me about excessive preening in show dogs, the US ones in particular, is the original breed risks getting lost and I do think this is why so many of the gundogs look so different (aside from the differences in the standard). A gundog, in my mind, should be functional and workmanlike. Regardless of whether the dog is worked or not, it should never be forgotten that these breeds only exist because they served a purpose created many moons ago. To forget this is to disrespect the breed imo.
Could you use the quote button please, otherwise I'm going to have to spend a lot of time trying to seperate your posts from mine and tbh I've better things to do on a Saturday. If you do so I can answer your questions!
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Thanks for your opinion Mick, do you feel from looking at the picture of the US dog it could do its job - conformation wise?
It depends what you think the job of a husky is to some extent, but in essence, as a long distance endurance sled dog, I think its lack of chest and leg length would cause it to struggle. As a sprint racing animal (which unfortunately is now the most common "work" of the Siberian in the UK), it would fail dismally. Similarly, for the UK dog to be a successful long distance endurance sled dog in arctic/sub arctic conditions, for me it would need slightly less leg, and a better coat.

Mick
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Could you use the quote button please, otherwise I'm going to have to spend a lot of time trying to seperate your posts from mine and tbh I've better things to do on a Saturday. If you do so I can answer your questions!
I was trying to pick out bits from your multi-quoe Rip. and it got a bit complicated trying to take bits of other people's posts out. I'm not very good at the multi-quoting thing, so it doesn't mater if it is too complicated for you to reply. I think, basically we are singing the same song.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
It depends what you think the job of a husky is to some extent, but in essence, as a long distance endurance sled dog, I think its lack of chest and leg length would cause it to struggle. As a sprint racing animal (which unfortunately is now the most common "work" of the Siberian in the UK), it would fail dismally. Similarly, for the UK dog to be a successful long distance endurance sled dog in arctic/sub arctic conditions, for me it would need slightly less leg, and a better coat.

Mick
Devil Dogz

Have a look at www.vargevass.com
standard fitting sibes that are competing in long distance races (sometimes in arctic conditions)

Sorry I know it seems I'm picking on Mick, I think he knows me well enough to know that I am not

Very interesting thread, I have enjoyed reading peoples responses and seeing the differance in the breeds.

Gemma
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks Mick & Gemma - Shall have a look at the link now
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by gemma riley View Post
Devil Dogz

Have a look at www.vargevass.com
standard fitting sibes that are competing in long distance races (sometimes in arctic conditions)

Sorry I know it seems I'm picking on Mick, I think he knows me well enough to know that I am not
Gemma
Not a great fan of Vargevass dogs Gemmsie (blasphemy I know, but there you go!). Anyway, you can't talk with some of the dodgy breeding you've got in your kennel!

(For those who think this is an insult, Gemma has several dogs from my lines in her kennel and we are good friends!)

I agree though - it has been an interesting thread. We are acutely aware of the differences between US and UK in our breed (at showing level), but it is interesting to see some of the differences in other breeds as well.

Mick
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Not a great fan of Vargevass dogs Gemmsie (blasphemy I know, but there you go!). Anyway, you can't talk with some of the dodgy breeding you've got in your kennel!

(For those who think this is an insult, Gemma has several dogs from my lines in her kennel and we are good friends!)

Mick

Loads of dodgy breeding

God knows what people would think of that spotty one LOL!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Mick does Nicky S with chinese cresteds have one of your breeding? (might sound like a mad question as I dont even know your affix) - but something tells me its one of yours?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Mick does Nicky S with chinese cresteds have one of your breeding? (might sound like a mad question as I dont even know your affix) - but something tells me its one of yours?
..clue is in his signature lol
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:29 PM
ahaha duurr - trust me Yep it is then - was the avatar that made me think it
Page 16 of 17 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 >