Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I know of her from the KC KCAI member site, but do not know her personally, sounds as though she knows a thing or two!
Thanks for that Smokey.
I've just finished speaking with her after she replied to my email. She sounds like a very nice lady and I'm taking Bailiie with me to see how the classes go before we commit. I have enrolled for the clicker seminar she's running though as I'd really love to give it a go. She advised it was ok to take Bailiie as long as she's ok with other dogs - Bailiie loves other dogs so shouldn't be a problem. Now I just have to decide when to go along......decisions decisions! I'll continue where I am now with my training until my membership runs out and then I think it's time for a change. Perhaps Deborah was being biased when she asked where we go now but what she said rang very true.
I know I'm doing the right thing, and she did say that anybody new to her starts at the puppy level so she has an idea of what and how we've learned.....
We can but try, but I'm feeling excited () about the prospect all ready, so I feel that can only be a good thing??
Katerina
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I think it is good to introduce some change onto your training routine. It will keep both you and your dog challenged and motivated. As to the initial question, there is no point at which you have to stop training. Learning new tricks is a great way to bond with your dog and to prevent boredom. So good luck on your new training classes
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Katerina View Post
I think it is good to introduce some change onto your training routine. It will keep both you and your dog challenged and motivated. As to the initial question, there is no point at which you have to stop training. Learning new tricks is a great way to bond with your dog and to prevent boredom. So good luck on your new training classes
Thank you Katerina.
Today when Bailiie and I got to school, something was amiss - neither of our usual trainers were there - they were away at a show with the display team. In their place was a lady who is usually in the class with her own dogs - she has been studying to be a dog trainer as long as I've been going, so I guess she's passed. The class was fun and pleasurable and lots of people applauded Bailiie for a noticeable change and improvement
She's really not that bad during class but she can have her moment , but today was great. We did a few different things which went down really well with everyone. Rita asked for comments on how we thought she'd done and would we change anything? Most of us told her we were impressed and pointed out the bits we particularly liked; we were practising away stop (emergency stop), and Bailiie at school sometimes struggles with this, so to help I drop a tiny rolled up sock in the middle of the circle whilst walking away from her. Once I'm at my destination, I call her to me but ask her to STOP as she gets to the sock. So far, it's worked every time but I know once I'm and she is 100% confident, I will try without the sock. Rita was really impressed with my method and thought it a great idea. I came away happy but it really reassured me that I'm certain I've made the right decision to go elsewhere - just a different teacher can make a world of difference. Rita did a cracking job, and is covering again soon so we look forward to that. In the mean time, we'll do our best until the end, before starting our new venture. I went to check out where the new place is today - its a bit of a way off but not too far and easy enough to get to.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2