Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
But a lead snapping is a different thing, an unpredictable, unpreventable accident - a Flexi could snap just the same as a short lead (though I've heard of more Flexis snapping/breaking than regular leads). But walking a dog with so many metres of line and just assuming it will stick to the pavement is a different risk altogether IMO. All it would take is for the dog to have a sudden urge to chase a squirrel on the other side of the road, or be spooked by a strange sight or noise to the near side of it and it could bolt out infront of a car.

But like I said, each risk is individual to each person and their individual circumstances.

Oscar does not chase anything, he's a pointer. He's been trained to point and flush on command, if he was an untrained chaser I wouldn't use a flexi on him would I?

I don't just stick a flexi on a dog and hope for the best, I take into consideration every aspect I can and take every precaution I can to ensure my dogs safety.

Like I said, you think it's risky, I don't - everyone will be different. The big difference is I know what risks I'm taking, you don't as you don't know me, my dogs or where I live etc

I tell you what I think is more risky than using a flexi on a well trained dog. Stick a short lead on an untrained dog and expecting the lead to do the work for you! At least if one of my leads did snap I'd have control over my dogs, I can't count the amount of people who seem to think a length of nylon is a substitue for training!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:38 PM
My point is, training can fail - even if you're convinced he won't chase after something, a dog can react in an unpredictable way, e.g. when scared. At least with a short lead, you have a physical restraint. The chances of the dog getting spooked enough to bolt AND a perfectly working lead snapping at the same time isn't as likely as a dog on a long Flexi line being spooked and having the lead length to run out into the road.
But it's your dog, can't make you change your mind, just don't see the point of risking it.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
My point is, training can fail - even if you're convinced he won't chase after something, a dog can react in an unpredictable way, e.g. when scared. At least with a short lead, you have a physical restraint. The chances of the dog getting spooked enough to bolt AND a perfectly working lead snapping at the same time isn't as likely as a dog on a long Flexi line being spooked and having the lead length to run out into the road.
But it's your dog, can't make you change your mind, just don't see the point of risking it.
Precisely, it's just your opinion. At the end of the day I know my dog and my circumstances much better than you do because I know me and my circumstances so for that reason deem it safe to use a flexi on the roads in my area.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3