View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
No I OWN my dog, it is up to ME as the OWNER to take care of it.

I hate these tree hugging sentiments which achieve nothing.

Most people who say they are "owned by their dog" are just that" they are the dog's servant and a poor one usually.

I am not a "carer" my dogs are not disabled, geriatric etc.

It is NOT the same as a child as of course we do not OWN people, whether they are spouses or children.

Dogs cost money, we buy them, therefore we OWN them.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I just wondered if profits can be made by reputable & responsible breeders, or is it always a case that a litter of pups costs more than the income from selling them?
Yes decent breeders can and do make a profit, anyone that says different is hiding something - If you added cost such as showing costs as thats promoting your lines, you could say you dont make a profit but I am talking with out adding showing costs. The 'profit' will not always be the same, you will also have no idea what will be spent out when the mating is planned and you certainly wot make enough for a hoilday, new car ect.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Like anything else you can make a profit from one litter and a loss from another.

Eg if one of your litters is 12 and the other is 1 or none!

So like any business you may have years where you make a profit, and others wherre you make a loss.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Customers are getting more selective, they are selecting 'rare' blue staffies 'rare' crossbreeds etc. Thus there isa bandwagon of people breeding these dogs. Knock on effect is more dogs in rescue.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No I OWN my dog, it is up to ME as the OWNER to take care of it.

I hate these tree hugging sentiments which achieve nothing.

Most people who say they are "owned by their dog" are just that" they are the dog's servant and a poor one usually.

I am not a "carer" my dogs are not disabled, geriatric etc.

It is NOT the same as a child as of course we do not OWN people, whether they are spouses or children.

Dogs cost money, we buy them, therefore we OWN them.

OTOH I an a tree hugger and proud of it.

Carer was the only word I could think of----parents are carers whether or not their kids are disabled etc.

Happy to disagree---peace and light.

rune
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
It depends on how much breeders want to breed ~ if they strongly feel they want to breed, then they should also be prepared to meet the costs.

I don't see why breeders that do it for a hobby should make a profit! If it's primarily a hobby then profit shouldn't be a factor.

If your hobbies started to cost you money or didn't save you money, would you still do them?
Wouldn't be able to afford to do them. So would probably stop. Would impact far more than my hobbies as I would also have to stop feeding my dogs as my hobbies afford me to have dogs - I am guessing it's the same with many breeders.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
We cannot stop people buying what they want, any more than the goverment can stop people buying drugs, drinking too much, choosing to eat high fat foods.

If you want to live in a totalitarian regime, then you should move to somewhere like CUBA or worse.............

Sometimes you need to be deprived of freedom to value it!

Nothing in life is perfect and the danger of imposing too many restrictions on people is that people revolt............... look at Jordan, Tunisia and Egypt at the mo!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Yes decent breeders can and do make a profit, anyone that says different is hiding something - If you added cost such as showing costs as thats promoting your lines, you could say you dont make a profit but I am talking with out adding showing costs. The 'profit' will not always be the same, you will also have no idea what will be spent out when the mating is planned and you certainly wot make enough for a hoilday, new car ect.
Thanks for that (& to smokeybear) for your replies.

Which leads on to ~ do you still consider it a hobby if you make profits? Or is it more akin to a trade or business? And if it is a business, do the responsible breeders pay tax on their profits (or claim the losses against other income if they make a loss)?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
The laws on taxation and where it applies to dog breeders are already extant.

Whether or not people abide by them or not of course is another matter..........
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes I would class it as a hobby. You dont always make a profit, you dont always make a loss and the most important you dont set out for a profit.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »