Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 03:04 PM

A stroke of luck at the hospital..

Went over to the hospital for my blood test this morning (they're finally restarting my warfarin so am having tests every other day at the moment).

Had my blood test, set off home and as I was walking back up the road past the minor injuries unit at the hospital I felt something wet on my jeans...
You have got to be kidding I thought!

My leg hasn't bled whilst walking for months and months - I still get it bleeding when I'm in bed and turn over on it or knock it and sometimes if I knock it at home but to bleed spontaneously purely due to pressure is relatively uncommon for me now.

I stopped for a moment - looked at my jeans and decided I couldn't continue walking home with it as it was.

So I dropped into minor injuries!
I said 'excuse me - bit of an odd one... I've got a condition which causes me to bleed spontaneously and I was just walking past when I started bleeding but I have no dressings - could you just let me have a dressing please?'

No - I had to be seen! So after sitting in the waiting room covered in blood and feeling rather silly, the nurse patched me up until I got home (the worst dressing I've ever seen to say it was a nurse in minor injuries!).

Just lucky really I was passing the unit! She also gave me a load more dressings to go home with including some tape.

So I got home, got changed and went out to drop off some leaflets.

I was delivering one when my finger got trapped in a rather over enthusiastic spring on a letter box, thought it stung but no more about it... half a dozen doors down I noticed something on one of the leaflets... my finger was bleeding and I'd just delivered half a dozen leaflets covered in blood!

Luckily enough, I had the tape in my bag that the nurse gave me and patched myself up

So who's betting that the warfarin's working?