View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 09:40 AM
To the OP, I feel that prey model raw is the best food for a dog to be on. If you'd like more info feel free to PM me.
If you really want to go with commercial pet food, Burns or Arden Grange are the better ones to go for in my experiance.

Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I'm sure everyone knows roughly how much fat, protein and carbs are healthy each day for themselves. But you need to know how to read the labels.
That's were I've been going wrong for my dogs... no labels on their food!
Even as far as humans are concerned the experts can get it wrong. I recall the high carb diet I was put on when diagnosed diabetic years ago, I was fed up eating constantly! Now diabetics of that age/size are put on half the amount of carbs.

Obviously people that are out to sell something (whether that be a diet book, food or a particular diet that they feel passionately about), they will put a spin on the facts.
That's the thing. Raw feeders don't have anything to sell. (With the exception of Billinghurst and his barf diet that I disagree with; but that's another thread, lol.) Anything needed for the raw diet can be bought from slaughter houses, butchers or supermarkets. The info is out there for free for all to read and ask questions of.
Commercial dog feed is a whole other kettle of fish, and at the end of the day they are in business to make profit.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
personally i feel that FROMM complete is best. No articfial colours of preservatives. Similar to JWB but more tastey and oily.
I've never heard of it before, and a quick search turned up this:

FROMM is a range of complete dog and cat foods manufactured in America. Dr. Willard Roberts, Ph.D., a leading nutritionist, created the first generation of FROMM Family Nutritionals pet foods in 1948. Dr. Roberts is recognized as the father of modern pet foods, having pioneered the process of producing the type of dry, granular food that's so popular today.
Since then the Fromm Company has continued to improve upon each Fromm Nutritionals recipe. The result is a concentrated, balanced blend of foods that results in easier digestion, fewer allergic reactions, and increased energy for your dog or cat.

The major range from Fromm is the Gold Nutritionals. This range is free from any artificial colours, flavours, anti-oxidants and preservatives.
But not much else. What's in it? Where do you get it?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I've never heard of it before, and a quick search turned up this:

But not much else. What's in it? Where do you get it?

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-c.php

there's a link to the website.

There's a link to one retailer

http://www.frommfamily.com/dealers-international.php

There are loads of little dealers who deliver to your door. Personally i get mine through the dog training company i work for. www.armchairdogs.co.uk

Tonks is on puppy at the moment. My parents' dog has been fed on it since he was a small pup and is a very healthy dog who still walks for two hours a day at 13 years old. My dad puts his good health down to being fed on FROMM, which is interesting because he was not convinced when i first suggested the change when Dewi was a little pup.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Interesting. At :

Protein 23% Min
Fat 15% Min
Carbs 48%

It sounds as if it's within the range that seems promising for my dog so we'll keep it in mind. We're currently giving her Burns Active which is a working dog version of a similar sounding product:

Protein : 24%
Fat : 20%
Carbs : 50%

Which is no use for the opening poster who's looking for something that will promote slow growth. I don't know about large breed pups, but Burns Mini Bites do promote slow growth and they keep a dog nice and lean. It might be worth a look. (It's what our Beagle was raised on and we think it did encourage nice, slow development).

EDIT: Actually, I just checked the Burns site and it seems they have a large puppy variety with:

Protein 24.0%, Oil 15.0%

I'm pretty sure that's MORE protein than their normal puppy food.

Now Burns have an excellent help desk - they always answer questions thoroughly and quickly. It might be worth asking them for the thinking behind their large breed puppy food?
xxJonnyCxx
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2008, 08:40 PM
yea, but im sure that like people, dogs differ in size.

I give my dog dry food, as wet tends to go straight through, or back out again, and we give her royal canin. its about £12 £15 a bag whats that, $20? and that lasts about 3 -4 weeks i think.
spaceman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I feed my 2 springers Arden Grange Performance, plus a few chicken wings to clean up their teeth.
I’ve been following the Alternative v Kibble arguments for a couple of years (plus the arguments re vaccinations, chemical flea and worm treatments etc etc). I haven’t read anything conclusive either way and I’d guess the majority of dogs are fed on commercial complete.
I agree its big business for the pet food and drug companies. We all have to make a buck somewhere – even your butcher, supermarket or bullet/gun manufacturer!
I do think there are vocational scientists out their who’s “lives” are about doing the best for our dogs.
I’ve spoken with the nutritionist at Arden Grange quite a few times – never felt I’ve been hoodwinked.
One things for sure – it’s an emotive subject
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3