Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 06:04 AM

Flea treatment.

Is there a Flea Treatment that works as well as Advocate but cheaper for Cats & Dogs?

Also Wormers for Dogs.

Thanks in advance.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2014, 06:31 AM
I do not know whether it is cheaper or not but I have just changed from monthly aopplications of Frontline Spot on to using a Serestro collar on Pereg. The main reason being protection against ticks.

Regarding worm treatment, she has Drontal Plus pills every six months - the reason for those being that they are for tapeworm as well as other internal parasites.

We do hot have heartworm or lungworm here so I do not have to worry about those.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Yvonne, have you looked on the net.
I got Pepsi's off Amazon.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I tend to stick to whatever the vet recommends, if there is an adverse reaction at least he knows what he is treating instantly no rushing around finding pack information etc before they can be treated. Learned that when the late Duncan had a fit after back of the neck flea treatment. Decided never again worry about cheaper.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2014, 10:03 AM
I buy from my vet - because I trust him and I trust his advice and because I know he is not making shed-loads of money for recommending products.

And like Julie, I know that he would know what to do if Pereg had a bad reaction.

Would it be worth me saving a few shekels if I could buy online, which I actually cannot? No. My vet looks after my dog and I trust him to do so.

Because if he says something is OK for her then I know it is.

And the most important thing of all is that I know he will never let me down.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I use Billy No Mates (1.5ml in Ella's food every day) and I've got to say it's been great so far.

She's not got fleas and she hasn't had a single tick, even though it's really bad for ticks at the moment!

We went on a big walk in the forest and long grass on Monday and she came home tick free, but not me!! I found a tick on my arm, so maybe I should use Billy No Mates too :P
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi there,welcome back
I also buy from my vet Advocate for flea treatment and Drontal plus for worming
Made a mistake once while in P@H Thought I'd get Bob Martin's de-wormer..poor girl was so sick
Not knocking the product before I'm sued!! I'm sure it works for lots of dogs,just not mine... Will be sticking to what I know in future
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Ours get tested for worms annually. They do not get regular wormer and they never have worms. Jade gets garlic, brewers yeast, and diatomateous earth topical and food grade in her food. I don't medicate old dogs (it even says so on the packages).

I give heartworm medication sporadically, Jade does not get it at all. They are tested annually for heartworm, as well. The Advantage 2 (Advocate) seemed to work for Nigredo, but I couldn't bear to pay that much for it, either.

We switched to Sentry Fiproguard MAX, and it works like a charm. Their other products are garbage though IMO. Have been on it since. We have a lot of fleas here in Atlanta, and no one product works for everybody. Doesn't work for everyone, but perhaps worth a try.

I personally hate putting chemicals of any kind on my dogs, but Nigredo has allergies to various herbs and I kinda have no choice. Costs about half of Advocate and has a 3.5 average rating whereas Advocate has a 4 star on Amazon. Worth a try at least IMO.