Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2011, 11:56 PM

Best flea treatment

As spring has arrived, it time to get think about getting a flea treatment for my pup.

Is there one that anyone can recommend?

With Cannon being my first dog, I am not sure, but I think that you place a couple of drops on the neck(?) over several days?

Any advice?
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Always used Front-line and had no problems with that x
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I use advocate, but i would ask your vet about this and a wormer that will work together to cover everything you need.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Frontline spray is the best all round one suitable for all dogs. I dont treat mine unless I know there is another dog they are in contact with has fleas, as prefer not to use chemicals unless I have to.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
Frontline spray is the best all round one suitable for all dogs. I dont treat mine unless I know there is another dog they are in contact with has fleas, as prefer not to use chemicals unless I have to.
in your opinion! most peeps have moved on from the spray now...and there is a cheaper one now,with the same active ingredient Effipro

i use advocate ..because of the mange and lungworm cover it also has
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I would suggest discussing a flea and worm treatment plan with your vet - you may be able to see a vet nurse for slightly lower consultation fee, or they may offer free appointments this purpose (mine do a free vet check for flea and wormer prescriptions - basic health check etc)
That way you know you've got the most up to date/effective treatment (lots of OTC ones are no longer effective as the fleas have become resistant) and you know it's safe (some flea treatments can cause adverse reactions in certain breeds but vets should be aware of this), and can get an accurate weight reading to ensure you dose the dog correctly too.
As said, some flea treatments cover some worms too so discussing which to use in conjunction with each other is a good idea. For example, Advocate covers lots of worms but not all of them so is usually given with Drontal to cover everything.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I swear by Stronghold! It covers some worms & mites as well as fleas, it will also treat the environment.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I use Effipro.

Mine are being done this weekend, dogs all bathed/groomed, friday, then house dogs and cats treated Sat, and we go out for the day to let the sprays/bombs do their stuff
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I've been wondering the same thing but more from a cost point of view.

I want to know if I really need to spend as much as I do on Frontline to have an effective treatment.

I am generally happy to go along with what the vet says but from time to time my cynical side comes out and I do wonder how much they just want to make money when perhaps you could spend a little less on something else.

Don't get me wrong, I do trust my vets and they have always been very good. I am taking my boys this afternoon and will ask about this while I am there.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I use frontline on my two and it is very effective (capsules on back of the neck). Very effective against tics as well.

Whatever you do don't waste your money on the pet shop/supermarket cheap flea treatments - they are useless.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >