Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 11:47 AM

breed recommendation

hi guys. My partners parents are looking to get a rescue dog. These are the same people who ended up rehoming their rescue yorkie because it bit their grandson, even tho it was their own fault. Now, personally, i dont think they should get a dog... but they will get one no matter what i try to tell them!

Even though the mum is at home all day, she will not walk very far with a dog, 30 mins max. She is a very small person so she would not be able to handle a strong dog. I doubt very much they will do any training as they havent previously, they expect all dogs to be born knowing the rules
They have a 4 year old grandson living with them and he is the main reason they are getting the dog, because the child has said he 'needs' one. I have tried to explain how stupid this is. The child is constantly on the go and pretty much jumps all over my dogs and winds them up.

Can anyone recommend any breeds that might suit them? They want an older dog anyway, but will pretty much take anything that gets offered to them by anyone unless i say the breed is not suitable. Just yesterday they were tryin to come home with a 15 month old male staffie!!!! I politely told them that indie would rip it to pieces or vise versa and its not exactly the right breed for them when they have no time to walk or train it, and would not have the strength or knowledge to handle it.

Thing is, even if no rescue centre will give them a dog, and they probably will cos theyve had one b4, they will just go privately. Hopefully they will wait until we have left cos it will be a nightmare otherwise.

Anyway, any recommendations? or at least, anything i can say to them to make them realise its a stupid idea.
Their last dog they hit him with newspapers, put him in confinement, lifted him up by his lead when he pulled, wouldnt give him attention, the list goes on. I actually urged them to rehome him cos of the way they were treating him.
AlisonTRPD
New Member!
Female 

06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
What about a 'Robo-Dog' or 'Cyber-Pet'? Failing that, one of those pull-along dogs on wheels.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
O. M. G. Tell them if they get a dog you will report them....be blunt tell them theyare terrible dog owners and to get a gold fish or something.....not only that but tell them it will cost a fortune in vets bill being a rescue (complete lie but what the hell) and they wont be able to afford bla bla bla....
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
yeah, i dont think a real dog would suit these people at all!! The only dog i can think of that MAY put up with the child mauling it is a lab, but they're large dogs and need a lot of exercise.

Try talking them into getting a cat!
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Do they still do those pound puppy toys very suitable and a rescue as well as each one is unique
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 12:28 PM
not only that but since when does a 4 yr old boy NEED a dog...(unless he is blind.... or deaf.... ill shut up now)
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
the mum is allergic to cats!
i dont know what else to tell them, ive told them its expensive and that they need to realise they dont have time to walk an energetic dog and no a 20 min walk round the block isnt sufficient. Ive told them they have no idea how to train dogs and no i wont always be around to advise them,not that they listen anyway. And ive told them its stupid to get a dog just because a 4 yrold wants one! I also told them that just because my dogs are quite well behaved doesnt mean another one will be, i told them i put alot of time and effort into training my dogs and it doesnt happen over night and that they too would have to put the same amount of time in.

Thing is, its already proven they cant train a dog because they couldnt even control their little yorkie who pulled them over in the street and was stil misbehaved. They had no idea how to train him so shut him away instead. It makes me wonder, do they think if they keep switchin dogs then a well behaved one might come along. They had a rescue collie years ago who was well behaved.. but old! they think every dog they get will automatically be trained.
I just pray to god they dont come home with a staffie!!
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
One wonders what type of teenager this young lad will become......

Maybe a quiet word with the school, so they can plan a suitable lesson into the timetable about the responsibilities of pet ownership? It may just get through to him....?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Can't you let them know that for now he can 'share' your dogs?

Okay so he winds them up, your dogs will be a good teaching tool Jen, teach him how to behave around dogs. If neither the child or the dog are trained then it just calls for disaster Owning a rescue dog brings just as much responsibility as owning a puppy, the difference with rescue dogs is that 9 times out of 10 you don't know the history behind the dog, whether it's good with children and other dogs or the health propblems it may have.

IMHO if they are truly adamant that they 'need' a dog they should wait till you have gone with your 2 dogs. There can't be much space for another dog in the house, where will it go when it wants some peace and quiet from the child or from your 2 dogs?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2005, 04:01 PM
How about going along to with them any rescue kennels and having a quiet word with the staff regarding your concerns....if they are refused enough times they may give up!