Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Fined for overfilling bin... what next?

Honestly, you'd think councils et al didn't have anything else to do....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7360147.stm
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Its the same here Isochick , You get fined for not putting the proper recycling stuff in the proper bin, Its an automatic fine off one hundred pounds xxxdk
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 11:24 AM
i heard about that!!! round our way , you get a warning on your bin first and that you have to take it to the skips yourself!

What i dont understand is if i take it to the wate skips myself, it all ends up in the same place!!!

I know they are doing it to reduce wast but for that they need to tackle supermarkets and their packaging!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-04-2008, 12:11 PM
This is crazy - So if he had taken that four inches of extra rubbish and chucked in the bushes by some road side that would've been OK I don't think so IMO that would be littering the country side which is far worse.

I guess I should be grateful that where I temporarily reside the bin men always empty my bins even if the lid is almost vertical and they remove bin bags that are sitting at the side and we don't have to spend hours sorting it and we only pay 20 pound a year for refuse collection.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 12:18 PM
How stupid is that no wonder flytipping seems to be getting more and more common.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for recycling (although we get very little collected in my area we take things to separate facilities) but that is totally unreasonable. A family of 5 with 1 bin and fortnightly collections, what do they expect?
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 02:37 PM
wonder if we would get punished for overfilling our recycling bin which often happens as i recycle loads every 2 weeks??

i think councils should advertise groups that recycle more.

our council only charges for large items - but i know of councils else where in the country where even this is a free service.

sue

ps think the fine was too much - a polite warning would have been better
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
ps think the fine was too much - a polite warning would have been better
Or even a 'not so polite' letter There was no suggestion he had ignored any warnings (Maybe he had, but that didn't come across in the paper)

That seems like an OTT fine to me.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Potty!

Up until a few weeks ago I didn't recycle at all.

Now I have a box for glass and tin in my utility room and another for paper.

All food, card and garden waste goes into the same bin, which after mowing the lawn at the weekend is now full with it not being collected until a week on Friday!

I can 'buy' another wheelie bin, but why should I pay to recycle?

Now where my Uncle lives they come round and spot check everyone's rubbish.... if it's all where it should be you get £50! Now surely that's better, offer a carrot not a slapped wrist!

I stil think they should bring back paying deposits on glass bottles then we'd all be taking them back for the refund.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 09:29 PM
My neighbour was just telling me about this story.

I think he felt i needed to know as my bin lid is always standing up.

There are 4 of us, 3 dogs and i recycle what i can (weekly my bin is full). What else can i do. Normal Bin day is every 2 weeks and i quite often put my extra rubbish in neighbours bin as he is on his own and its half empty. He lets me...........i don't just go round filling up peoples bins

Why should i take my extra rubbish to the tip, polluting the air when i pay for it to be collected. Its all a con to make extra money if you ask me. If they started to put fines on us in bristol i don't know what i would do with my rubbish, i definately would not use my petrol to drive to a tip.

If it is all about the serious situations of land fills then they need to target manufacturers but it is easy to make a quick buck from us.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm all for recycling, but then why should I pay more and more for all the stupid JUNK MAIL that comes every week, to be removed ?

I've decided that in my effort to help with recycling I'm gonna send it all back to where it came from along with a little bit of dog poo............... "here you go ..... you send me your sh*t, I'm returning the courtesy with some of mine" !!!

Seriously we get so much junk mail, Iactually thought this was being addressed, but it seems to be increasing, and I don't see why I should pay for that, I have enough rubbish of my own with a family of 5 and 1 fortnightly collection of 2 bin bags only !! (we don't even have wheelie bins!)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >