Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:09 AM

So Frustrating

Not sure if posted on right thread, but does anyone out there have a frustrating OH, when training dogs. I'm training Bruce (early days) yet he's got his name, knows the word NO and house-training going well. But Pat uses all different words like AH! AH! AH! when he see's Bruce doing something...then says to me sorry I forgot NO.
He calls 'Bruce' and Bruce ignores him so he calls 'tut' 'tut' or other silly noises!!!
He 'jumps' up when he feels Bruce is stooping, which makes Bruce bark......I keep saying OVER and OVER don't jump up going AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It means nothing to him. Forget the jump, forget the ahhhhhhhhhhh, just pick him up and put outside.

How many times have I heard from hubby...........Sorry I forgot...............any idea's!!!!!! anyone want a aging OH WHO CANN'T BE TAUGHT NEW TRICKS.

Bruce and the girls Loooooooooove him though:smt008 :smt008 :smt008 :smt008 :smt008
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:30 AM
My OH (until the last couple of weeks) often tried to use totally different words or commands with the dogs and got really frustrated when they didn't do it, or did it wrong...

E.g. using "down" instead of "off" or "stay" instead of "wait"

He has recently started to come to watch my training classes with Murphy and Max and it is (slowly) dawning on him why I use the words I do, after he has heard the dog trainers explaining it...

With any luck, it will sink in and he'll be able to get the same results with them as I do!

It's like training a pup really, you just have to keep doing it and eventually he will learn (your hubby, not Bruce!)
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:57 AM
you have to train the whole family as well as the dog,
I know exactly what you mean!!!
also friends (one particular one of My O/H) that allow them to jump up when they were little then wonder why they still do it now when they are all big an hairy!!!!
E.g. using "down" instead of "off" or "stay" instead of "wait"
the same friend also couldn't grasp the difference between off and down!!

My OH really tries though.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Yup, my OH can't understand why the dogs don't get off the sofa when he says "down".... or why they won't lie down when he says "lie down"....
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:11 AM
when i'm not there my oh gives them different words (off instad of down) and the two of them just do it, when i'm there and he says off they look at me for the nod

sometimes i think they are the ones who have us trained.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:17 AM
My Oh goes one better and explains to Fudge why she should not be doing something....He talks to her like one of the kids. Then he gets cross when she ignores him. LOL
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
My Oh goes one better and explains to Fudge why she should not be doing something....He talks to her like one of the kids. Then he gets cross when she ignores him. LOL
lol
do you also get told because She's a collie she should know!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by zoby View Post
when i'm not there my oh gives them different words (off instad of down) and the two of them just do it, when i'm there and he says off they look at me for the nod

sometimes i think they are the ones who have us trained.
Thats sounds like here OH says 'well the girls know what I mean' what he doesn't realise is that they clance at me and I nod at them..............that's why!!!!!!!!!!!!!Derrrrrrrrrr
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
How many times have I heard from hubby...........Sorry I forgot...............any idea's!!!!!! anyone want a aging OH WHO CANN'T BE TAUGHT NEW TRICKS.
Baz is the same - drives me totally nuts - it's so frustrating. You can borrow my husband basher (baseball bat) if you like
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Baz is the same - drives me totally nuts - it's so frustrating. You can borrow my husband basher (baseball bat) if you like
OH please Vicki 'yes'.........he's just left after having his break, when he came in he said QUOTE:

'Hello Girls' (fuss fuss fuss).........turns to 'Bruce' makes squeeky noises with his mouth, taps the floor, shakes his hand along the floor.......and said 'See he don't come to me, just sits and stares'

I said 'TRY using his name Drrrrrrrrrr. numpty.

He said ' Bruce'.............guess wot the pup ran over.
'Wow' he came..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said 'you don't say'.........and went into the kitchen.

Basher seems a very good idea. thanks
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >